Internet connection keeps dropping when I log in here

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by luciddream, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It happens a lot... that after I log into here, within a brief period of time I come to find my internet connection has dropped. It never happens on any other site but this one, and happens on this one a lot... almost every other/3'rd time I log in. Far too much to write off as coincidence.

Makes me think a mod here has it in for me, or somethin...

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Do you use http or https when logging in?

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Can you explain more about exactly what happens? As far as I know, there is not a website on the entire Internet that just browsing to will somehow disconnect a person Internet connection. If there was, there would be countless sites setup to do just that, and people would be trying to direct people to them all the time.

As for a mod having it in for you... the worst a forum staff member can do to a member is edit/delete their posts, or use a type of xF warning that results in a type of ban. No one can make a person's Internet connection hangup.

4. luciddream

And yet it happens... too often to write off as coincidence. What would you think if your internet connection rarely ever drops, yet almost half of the times you log into one particular site it happens within 10 minutes? And what would you think if this became a pattern over the course of 1-2 years? I have no choice but to believe in the results I see, which defy the laws of average ten-fold. I know not exactly how or why.

What I mean is when I log in here, within 10 minutes or so my internet connection drops. I close my browser, empty the sandbox, and it reconnects within 5 minutes. Then I go on browsing the internet again as usual, unimpeded, until logging in here again a week later, when like clockwork it happens again.

What you are saying regarding what a mod can do is of course correct... within the framework of doing the duties of a mod here on this website. I was thinking a bit outside the box of what one could do outside of that framework/set of circumstances, and not alone but with the help of some colleagues/people who can send packets... just a thought. I can't think of any other logical explanation, and as I said coincidence can be ruled out with almost mathematical certainty.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

A pattern occurring over the course of 1 to 2 years? I find that really hard to believe.

What research have you done over all that time to diagnose it? Firewall logs? Packet sniffer capture of "attack" packets, if that's what you think is happening? Trouble ticket opened with your ISP to at least diagnose the disconnecting Internet connection issue? If it happens so predictably, I'd think it could be fully logged and documented.

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

It's probably Microsoft in cahoots with your ISP trying to get you to finally upgrade from Windows XP. :p

7. guest

guest Guest

Do you stay on other websites as long and as active (reloading pages many times) as this website I wonder?

8. luciddream

No, no longer than any other. And I really was just kidding about the mods here having it out for me, but I know it's impossible to sense jest in print, especially in that context. But more rather like "the man" has it out for me... not wanting me to post things that may educate people about certain things... like say the NSA infiltrating the Mozilla dev team. TrueCrypt's true motives for bowing out, etc... It seems whenever I do stuff like that is when it tends to happen most... coincidence?

And yep 0strodamus... that's a much more viable conspiracy theory. lol. Trying to get me to "upgrade" so that their job of invading my privacy becomes easier.

9. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, I also don't believe in coincidence.

Since you said that you don't stay longer and more active in other websites, it could be that something (security software, ISP, policy setting, etc) drops your internet connection when you stay on the same website for longer than 10 minutes and/or reloading pages too often. As LWM has said, since this is a predictable occurrence, you can troubleshoot it through some sort of logging.

EDIT: Uh, pardon me for being a derp right now, but were you saying that you stay on Wilders not any longer than other websites or were you saying that you stay on other websites not as long as Wilders?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  10. luciddream

I actually stay on other sites and reload pages much longer/more often at other places than I do here.

There is one other site it happens at as well, where people discuss outside the box experiences they've had with one another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.