Internet Activity icon

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pfipps, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

I turned on the activity animation icon in windows Vista and it flashes all the time even though the internet status icon show no packets being transferred (byte count stays the same).
    Is this a problem?

2. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

Nobody has info on this? I did some searches, and nothing comes up.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Which firewall are you using?

You could try turning off any auto updating wares that may be causing the activity.

If you are worried that some programs on your PC are secretly making connections to websites in the background, here's a quick tip that uses a simple DOS command to detect and prevent such suspicious activity:

1. Type cmd in your Windows Run box.

2. Type "netstat -b 5 > activity.txt" and press enter. After say 2 minutes, press Ctrl+C.

3. Type "activity.txt" on the command line to open the log file in notepad (or your default text editor)

The file activity.txt will have a log of all process that made a connection to the Internet in the last two minutes. It will also show which process connected to which website in this time. And not just the web browsers (like iexplore.exe or opera.exe), the log will also show your IM clients, download managers, email programs or any software that requires a net connection.

4. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

But what i still don't understand is that if the activity icon is blinking once every second, there would be bytes transferred, but there isn't any.

5. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

When I try to open the text file, Vista says I need rights elevation, but there are no prompts, what can I do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.