Internet access

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Paul Duffey, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Duffey

Paul Duffey Guest

I have used my laptop with Windows XP and Norton Internet Security 2005 successfully on dialup and DSL connections. Now I have to rely on cable service by Adelphia.net in Colorado Springs, CO. When I try to access the Internet, I am blocked unless I turn off Internet Security, whereupon it works fine. I have tried tech support at Adelphia.net, but they just run through a few procedures that don't work, and then say it's a problem with Norton Internet Security. I have gone through Symantec's online trouble-shooting routine, which tells me to turn Internet Security to Manual, which means off. I am not willing to be on the Internet for extended periods with the Firewall and privacy controls turned off. Can you help me? Thanks Paul Duffey

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Cable-based ISPs can be awkward from a firewall perspective since they may send their own packets to monitor your online presence and disconnect you if you block them. The best option is to check your firewall logs for details of any blocked incoming packets originating from your ISP (if in doubt about an IP address, look it up using DNSStuff) then try creating a rule to allow them.

The most likely packets for this would be ICMP Echo Requests (known as "Pings"), but IGMP packets are a likely candidate also.

3. PaulHDuffey1

PaulHDuffey1 Guest

Thanks, I sent an e-mail to Adelphia net's abuse e-mail to see if they can help me. Paul

4. PaulHDuffey1

PaulHDuffey1 Guest

I paid a tech to make a home visit and he found that Norton Internet security firewall was set to block TCP, so he unblocked it and it works correctly now. Thanks for your help! Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.