Internet access problem

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Vasya4, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vasya4

Vasya4 Guest

I installed LnS and discovered that as soon as I enable Internet Filtering (even with everything allowed) and Protocol Filtering Activation (in Advanced/Protocols) I lose any internet access. If any one of them is disabled everything works just fine.
    I assume that they both need to be enabled in order for firewall to work properly. Any help?
    Thanks!

2. Lowryder

Lowryder Guest

Hello Vasya4,

It sounds like you just have something blocking in one of the Internet filtering and application filtering rules,if you really can't find the problem by yourself,you can alway's reinstall it,my first install was messed-up mainly by me,doing things to rules I was not sure of,but in time you will know what should be allowed,or blocked.So don't get lose hope, just take your time,try and delete all your app rules,and just load a new rule-set and you should find your problem,but if all else fails a fresh reinstallion really seems to help many people,when I first installed LnS,my app filtering turned grey in under 5 minutes,so I reinstalled it and never had a problem since.

If you can give more info on what rule-set you are using? Did you add any rules? Did you have any red stop signs where there should not be? Well just trying to give you a few ideas,on what might be wrong with your LnS set-up,really sounds like you just have a rule blocked where it should not be,please tell us if you got it to work or not?,there are many people on this site who can help you slove this set-up problem,if none of the above helps,good luck

3. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

We need some more information in order to help you. What do you mean by "I loose any internet access"? Can you see any log activity in LnS? I assume you checked the correct driver in the "Options" window of LnS?

Thomas :)

4. vasya4

vasya4 Guest

Well, Network Interfaces selection set to Automatic and it points to a prpper network card, if that's what you meant by driver selection. I actually tried to set it manually with the same result.
    By losing Internet access I meant that none of the programs is able to access the Internet - browser, e-mail, messengers, etc. Access gets instantly restored if I disable either protocols in Options/Advanced Options or Internet filtering. I tried standard and advanced rule sets. I even tried to remove all blocking rules in internet filtering completely.
    I didn't check Log window (I'm at another computer right now) but I will as soon as I get back home.
    I'm using Windows XP SP2 and I also have NetBEUI installed but disabled, so it shouldn't affect anything...
    Thanks, guys!

5. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Registered Member

vasya4, could you post a screenshot of your Protocols configuration window?

X.

6. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

1.) Is application filtering working? Do you get pop-ups for applications trying to access the internet?

2.) Which options did you deactivate in Options/Advanced Options?

Thomas :)

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

The protocol filtering feature is tied to the Internet Filtering.
    If you disable the internet filtering, you disable the protocol filtering.

When you activate the protocol filtering and lose the internet access, did you verify there was no special protocol blocked ?
    Sometimes wanarp.sys is blocked by default and you need to manually allow it.
    When a packet belonging to a protocol is blocked, you should see a specific line in the log.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.