Interesting question about nod

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by psych1610, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    My friend just showed me this program. It's in Alpha right now but the concept is simple, though in practice it may be difficult.

What I can gather from it is that this program embeds a file in a bitmap or other lossless file type for pictures.

"This program allows you to conceal any file (or even group of
    files) in any losslessly compressed 24+ bits bitmap image.
    Unless you purposefully select an utterly plain image, there is
    no way to know the image contains hidden data, and there is no
    way to extract said data without the original, unaltered image."

Now my question is completely theoretical here as the user who receives the encrypted file in the picture, must have the original picture used to encrypt the file in order to view the file, but, would it be possible to transfer a .exe file type or folder that contains a virus inside a bitmap image just like it's possible to store a .doc in there. I realize it would not be able to be executed without a users knowledge since he/she must have the original picture but the prospect of this is interesting to me.. and surely there must be a way to get around having the original picture in order to decrypt it and get the file.

Just a theoretical question.. I think it would be possible, but I'm hesitant to try.

psych1610

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I am not sure how this relates to NOD32 except to say that any encrypted file would be detected upon decryption.

Aside from that, it is in no way necessary to have the original bitmap so long as the intended recipient knows the mask value used to insert the data. Any type of file or data could easily be transported in this manner only limited by the size of the data (which could be zipped first) compared to the size of the image they are intended to be interleaved with.(and there are a few function in photoshop that seem to have no actual graphical purpose except to perform this type of data stealthing)

Cheers :)

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Such programs has been around for many many years. 10+ at least.

4. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    Interesting to know, thanks a lot. I was just a bit curious. As far as those programs being around for so long, I had no idea.

Thanks,

psych1610

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.