Interesting: How to eradicate Google from Firefox

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by king666, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. king666

king666 Registered Member

Here is an interesting site that I found on this forum:
    www.leavegooglebehind.com/how-tos/how-to-eradicate-google-from-firefox

This is an interesting article from the site above: How to eradicate Google from Firefox

This tutorial will help you eradicate Google from Mozilla Firefox, so that your browser does not send information about you to the Monster of Mountain View.

Step 1. Remove Google from the list of search engines.
    Click the dropdown icon next to the search box in the upper right hand corner of Firefox.
    Click “Manage Search Engines” (at the bottom of the list).
    A dialogue box will appear. Select Google and click Remove. Then click OK.

Step 2. Turn off “safe browsing”.
    Firefox has a feature called “safe browsing” which reports information about your browsing to Google. This “feature” can be turned off by going to Tools > Options, clicking the Security tab, and unchecking “Block reported attack sites” and “Block reported web forgeries.” (You can take charge of your own browsing security by installing these essential privacy add-ons for Firefox, outlined in this separate tutorial).

Step 3. Disable location-aware browsing. Another Firefox “feature” that works in conjunction with Google, this useless piece of functionality allows websites to collect detailed information about where you’re browsing from.
    In the URL bar, type about:config
    Click “I’ll be careful, I promise” when you get the “This might void you warranty” warning
    In the Filter box, type geo.enabled
    Double click on the geo.enabled preference
    Location-Aware Browsing is now disabled.
    Leave the about:config tab open for next steps.

Step 4. Adjust and/or disable location bar search
    When you type an invalid URL into Firefox’s address bar and hit enter (or mistakenly use the location bar in place of the search box), Firefox’s default behavior is to send this information to Google as a search query, whereupon Google shows you results for the invalid URL. We can modify and also disable this behavior.
    Clear the Filter Box by clicking the little X just inside the right edge of the box.

Type keyword

You’ll see two listings. The first will show a Google URL. Double click this listing.
    A box will appear allowing you to edit the URL. You can paste in substitutes like:
    http://bing.com/results.aspx?q= (for Bing)

Click OK to save changes.
    Optionally, you can double click the second listing (keyword.enabled) to completely turn off location bar search in Firefox. Replacing the Google URL first is still a good idea!

Step 5. Change your home page.
    The default homepage for Mozilla Firefox has a Google search bar in it. You can change this by dragging the icon next to any URL onto your Home button. If you don’t have a favorite website to change to, consider making Bing your homepage. It features a gorgeous picture every day.

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Interesting read. I don't think I have the patience to this but I may in the future.

3. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

It is eradicated in iceweasel-libre, Parabola GNU/Linux browser by default :D

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I do this every time I need to install Firefox :)

5. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

By default, Firefox uses Google Location Services to determine your location by sending:

your computer’s IP address,
    information about the nearby wireless access points, and
    a random client identifier, which is assigned by Google, that expires every 2 weeks.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/geolocation/

6. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Someone posted this reply to me before, it seems Google cannot track you through leaving these turned on....

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-does-phishing-and-malware-protection-work

Scroll down to following questions: How does Phishing and Malware Protection work in Firefox?

What information is sent to Mozilla or its partners when Phishing and Malware Protection
    are enabled?

7. Paranoid Eye

Paranoid Eye Registered Member

thanks for the tips I have not used these ever but will do so !

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I see two potential problems here:

First:
    That means that navigating to a blocked site is notified to Firefox/its partners. I don't see any information about how this happens, but it shouldn't be too hard to determine what information is leaked (if any) by using Wireshark.

Second:
    IMO, this is both unnecessary and a violation of privacy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.