Interesting HD problem

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Gameman, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gameman

Gameman Registered Member

Hi all,
    I have a 40gig second HD that I have partitioned into a 12gig and 25.26gig sections (both extended partitoins) with Acronis Disk Director Suite. There is a 7.382meg unallocated part at the very beginning. I don't get any errors with the drive when I run Scandisk (windows 98 version). However Norton Disk Doctor (2000 version) says that there is a extended patition is invalid and has invalid parmaters and offers to fix it. My bet it is that it will destroy all the data if I do that. I can access everything currently and no other errors occur with the drive.

I have backups so if something does happen I won't loose anything (I just recently set up this drive). I have never ran into this before. Any idea what is going on? I have ran tests using Western Digital's tools and everything says the drive is fine. Suggestions on a course of action?

-Gameman

2. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi

I already oserved the same phenomenon on my own drives...

I wonder if it might be some space which is allocated to contain the partitions's attributes ?! Do you have similar space on your primary Hard Drive ?

3. Gameman

Gameman Registered Member

Well the 7.3meg unallocated at the start is the only thing that is different that I can see. Disk Director would not allow the use of that space, when FDISK would (I have used FDISK previously to set up this drive, this is the first time I have used Disk Director). The interesting thing is Norton Disk Doctor said that one or more partitions are invalid and probably unreadable although I can read everything and scandisk (windows98 version) says no problems, as does Voptme. So I assume it is norton but I am wondering what could it be detecting that the others don't.

-Gameman.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.