Interesting HD problem

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Gameman, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gameman

Gameman Registered Member

Hi all,
    I have a 40gig second HD that I have partitioned into a 12gig and 25.26gig sections (both extended partitoins) with Acronis Disk Director Suite. There is a 7.382meg unallocated part at the very beginning. I don't get any errors with the drive when I run Scandisk (windows 98 version). However Norton Disk Doctor (2000 version) says that there is a extended patition is invalid and has invalid parmaters and offers to fix it. My bet it is that it will destroy all the data if I do that. I can access everything currently and no other errors occur with the drive.

I have backups so if something does happen I won't loose anything (I just recently set up this drive). I have never ran into this before. Any idea what is going on? I have ran tests using Western Digital's tools and everything says the drive is fine. Suggestions on a course of action?

-Gameman

2. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi

I already oserved the same phenomenon on my own drives...

I wonder if it might be some space which is allocated to contain the partitions's attributes ?! Do you have similar space on your primary Hard Drive ?

3. Gameman

Gameman Registered Member

Well the 7.3meg unallocated at the start is the only thing that is different that I can see. Disk Director would not allow the use of that space, when FDISK would (I have used FDISK previously to set up this drive, this is the first time I have used Disk Director). The interesting thing is Norton Disk Doctor said that one or more partitions are invalid and probably unreadable although I can read everything and scandisk (windows98 version) says no problems, as does Voptme. So I assume it is norton but I am wondering what could it be detecting that the others don't.

-Gameman.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.