Interesting backup problem!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

This could be posted in hardware or general services I supposed too. I had a 500 GB USB 3.0 Toshiba external HD I got on sale for $25. I used to just plug it in and put W7's backup tool images on it. I also have an internal SSD for the Paragon images. Then I decided why not mount it in the tower too. As the internal 3.0 ports were all used up, I installed a PCIe card with a 3.0 A port. All worked well for a long time but for about the last month, W7 would only see the drive during backups but not for restores. I had no idea what was going on and searches gleamed that it wasn't an unusual problem (searches always seem like that) but resolutions were non existent. Long story short, it was merely that at some point I clicked "Safely Remove..." but never did. I opened the tower, disconnected it and reconnected it and it is fine. The drive is partitioned for the AX64 images yet that problem never occurred with it.

2. manolito

manolito Registered Member

If you are willing to experiment a little, I strongly recommend the USB drive tools collection by Uwe Sieber. Saved my butt more than once...

http://uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html

Cheers
    manolito

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for this! Yes, some interesting tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.