Interesting AV survey

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rollers, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Whilst this may not be scientific for a test, I was bored with an hour or so on my hands and was also interested in how well my two anti virus (licenced I might add) were performing on my two computers. So with too much time to play with I kept refreshing Jottis scanner page and logged which of the scanners when they found malware.
    Surprisingly here is the result

Anti Vir 12
    Arcavir 14
    Avast 11
    AVG 10
    Bitdefender 17
    ClamAV 12
    Dr Web 19
    F-Prot 6
    Fortinet 15
    Kaspersky 22
    NOD32 20
    Norman Virus Control 13
    UNA 10
    VBA32 32

This also includes Heuristic detections

Thankfully my main av is VBA32 and on my second machine is NOD32

2. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Im not able to download the beta key from VBA32 site. Could anybody please confirm this?

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Jotti score doesn't really mean much. Simple example? I check one CAB archive with local avast! HE. It detects some crap. I upload to Jotti and it says it's clean. Hm? Its because of Linux version limitations. Also that screen doesn't show all detections,you may skip one in between which can make all the difference for the final score.

4. ----

VBA32 alerts on a lot on things. Very aggressive heuristics.

Most of the files scanned on jotti and other single file online scanners have a unusually high chance of being dangerous, so the scanner which is most aggressive with heuristics is likely to score well.

Also Of the 32 findings by VBA32, how many were single detections by only VBA32 and nothing else?

5. rollers

rollers Registered Member

There were two single ones by VBA32 and nothing else, which could have been false positives. The others were confirmed with the same name by other scanners.
    Like I say, it was never meant to be scientific, but was an interesting result all the same.
    I did have a couple of false alarms on my machine when I cranked up the heuristics to maximum, but I submitted these to VBA32 and they were quickly fixed.
    I am not in any way trying to promote any product, but it is interesting to see what they detect. My last av was F-prot but it does not seem to detect much at Jotti, and as far as I know does not detect may diallers.

Rollers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.