Interchangeable Rescue Boot disks...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yontev, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yontev

yontev Registered Member

If I create a rescue boot disk on one computer, can I use it on another so long as they both have the same version of Acronis? Or can I only use it on the computer it was originated from?

-N

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The boot disc will work on any computer.

3. CorkyG

CorkyG Registered Member

You can use Rescue Media on any computer - and it is not necessary to have TI installed. Once I create the CDR, I uninstall Acronis TI. It brings nothing more to my party.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, that can be misleading if red the wrong way -- that is, "any" does not mean the same thing as "all." If you have purchased one license, you can use ATI on one and only one machine. Of course, you can take ATI off of one machine and put it on another.

If you use the rescue disk as a way of using running ATI on several machines -- making backups from various machines or restoring one or more images to various machines -- then you would need something more than a single license -- either multiple licenses or a distinct lack of scruples ;-)

sh

5. Beach

Beach Registered Member

Now I have several customers with TI9 images. I too install, run an image of their workstation, and then uninstall. But I want to sell them UI. I have purchased several Workstation 9.1's and UI purchases, but my question is this. Will UI restore a TI9 image? I want to just purchase the licenses, and then just use the UI to restore an image if a workstation ever dumps. Its a banking issue, so they don't want it installed, just want to have it in case.
    This way they would have the licenses, but not have to shut down in order for me to run an image of each workstation. (its complicated why they have to be taken off the LAN to do an image)
    So can I make a master copy of Workstation with UI and use it to restore an ATI9 image if necessary?? TIA

6. shieber

"UI" is ??

7. Beach

Beach Registered Member

Sorry, UR. (Universal Restore)

8. shieber

That should work. The only issue would be if the hardware was diff and so you needed to load diff drivers-- otherwise, the same image could work for all the machines.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

The best solution is to create an image with Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and to use this image with Acronis Universal Restore as 'master image'.

We can not guaranty that image created with Acronis True Image 9.0 Home would be restored with Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation using Acronis Universal restore add-on without any issues on all computers.

You will need to have all the necessary specific drivers at hand to be able to load it during restoration process if you are going to restore the image on computers with different hardware.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

10. Beach

Beach Registered Member

Michael, does that mean if I have sold several versions of ATI, 8,9,10 ect, that in order to restore an image, I would have to carry a boot cd from each version??

11. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Beach - Acronis guaranteed one version backward compatibility, so you can restore images created with Acronis True Image 10.0 Home and Acronis True Image 11 Home with the Acronis True Image 11 Home Bootable Rescue Media. You can also use the boot media from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home to restore images created with 8 and 9 versions. You will also need Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation media to restore the appropriate Workstation images. It's possible that you will be able to restore old images with the latest version of the product but it's not guaranteed because the format of image archives is changing in the new versions.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

12. Beach

Beach Registered Member

Michael--Okay. So if I carry a ATI10 (haven't sold any ATI11's) Boot CD and a Workstation CD, I should be okay?? That will solve a lot of issues. TIA

13. Acronis Support

Hello Beach,

I would also recommend you to have Acronis True Image 9.0 Home Bootable Rescue Media if you're going to restore images created with Acronis True Image 8.0

It's very possible that you will not encounter any issues restoring these images with Acronis True Image 10.0 Home Bootable Rescue Media but it will be a good idea to have the old version at hand.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.