InterActual Player

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by patermann, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patermann

patermann Registered Member

Last night, I was quite concerned to find InterActual Player had been installed on my daughter's laptop as I know that there have been serious problems with this software in the past. (My daughter is off to University and it came on a disk sent by the Students Union.) Is this software still spyware and are there still problems removing it? I am worried because the DVD-writer is currently the only way of backing up the PC and I have read stories of DVD-writers being disabled when InterActual Player was uninstalled.

Having said that, most of the horror stories on the 'Net seem to be from several years ago and a search here at Wilders turned up one thread from March/April last year where uninstallation sounded to be successful so it may be that the software is better now but InterActual Player did seem to be present in a lot of HijackThis! logs in the CastleCops forums.

Any advice will be really appreciated. Thanks.

patermann

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

InterActual Player is a DVD player for Microsoft Windows, included on certain DVDs

Since it came on a disk, I assume it must've been a DVD. As to how it got installed on the laptop, it could have been installed when she inserted the DVD into the DVD-ROM drive with autorun enabled. InterActual player could've been on the DVD itself.

I'm not quite sure as I don't use these software myself, but I'm pretty confident that it can be uninstalled somehow hopefully without a hitch. Just scan the laptop carefully.

3. ANETGames

ANETGames Registered Member

InterActual can be uninstalled via the Control Panel.

It can safely be removed without damage to any other external applications, as InterActual is mainly use for DVD Extras.

4. mrironleg

mrironleg Registered Member

I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts by Leo Laporte (well respected) and he mentioned that InterActual Technologies installed a DRM root kit on your system if you agreed to the EULA, and installed the software. I guess even if you remove the software, the root kit is still installed to prevent you from making copies of the movie ect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.