Interactive Mode with no Prompts

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mickhardy, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

Yep. Same problem. Resolved eventually by reinstalling ESS.

Brand new Toshiba Satellite Notebook running Vista Home Premium with a brand new installation of ESS 621. There was no trial or previous version of ESS or EAV installed. All Windows Updates and latest drivers installed and a few applications like Skype and Office 2003 but no firewalls or Anti Virus. I removed the preinstalled Norton 90 day trial and Office 2007 trial and ran the Norton cleanup tool and rebooted prior to installing ESS.

Everything appeared to work fine and updates proceeded correctly. However, nothing was stopped from accessing the Internet. Every application I tried connected without throwing any prompts. I tried changing quite a few settings, changing from Interactive to Automatic and back again, and all the Protocol Filtering Options but nothing seemed to resolve the issue. Many reboots and much hair pulling and my quick "help a mate out with my recommended security suite after removing his free 90 day Norton" became a long frustrating evening.

Eventually tried this approach. Uninstall ESS. Reboot. Delete ESET folder under AppData. Reinstalled ESS and rebooted. ESS finally prompted to allow Skype access but then crashed completely after displaying a one inch high blank window. Only the ESET graphic was visible at the top of the window. Doesn't look good so far. Restarted the GUI and it all fired up OK. Ran the update and it downloaded 8 MB of stuff. All appears to be working fine now. Tested a few applications like Firefox and IE and it prompted as expected. Rebooted a couple of times and everything appears to be behaving now.

I'm about to install this software on 20 computers. Wish me luck...

2. kringles

kringles Registered Member

3. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

Heh Kringles, thanks for the response.

Sorry about the quote from nowhere. It came from an EAV thread, but I figured it was more of an ESS issue so I replied in that thread and then posted here.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1153753&postcount=27

The thread you've quoted (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1156890&postcount=11) is identical to what happened but I'd forgotten about the response to the bootps prompt after selecting Sharing mode. I didn't check the rules because it was a brand new installation and I hadn't customised anything but I presume the allow everything rule was created exactly as posted. It was also getting really late and I was over computers. :blink:

After the reinstall, I selected Strict mode and did not get the prompt for bootps, which is why everything worked as expected.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

4. kazuki

kazuki Registered Member

can someone detail exactly what you supposed to do with this new rule. Do not understand not had this problem with other firewalls.
    This nod smart security seems alot of messing about.

5. kazuki

kazuki Registered Member

thanks sorted now followed the above advice and removed files left behind from uninstall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.