Intel's Massive 18-core Core i9 Chip Starts a Bloody Battle For Enthusiast PCs

Discussion in 'hardware' started by lotuseclat79, May 30, 2017.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Attached Files:

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I run a two core processor. I don't see the benefit to an 18-core processor to any one - even enthusiasts. Very few programs are written to take advantage of multi-core processors and the vast majority of software is still 32 bit.

What can Intel and AMD's latest series do that my decade-old only two core processor can't do? Nothing.

It'll take a long time before this stuff becomes mainstream. I'm skeptical of bragging rights with monster cores computing power.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi NormanF,

Yes, your point of view is well-taken for one whom has barely touched the surface of multi-processing.

The latest series of Intel and AMD's processors can complete faster than your 2-core processor - that is NOT nothing, and your 2-core is only useful up to its limits which the latest series of multiprocessor far out perform in terms of speed.

As we speak, more and more programs are breaking the bounds by becoming multiprocess - something which most of us cannot even imagine.

It's Ok to be skeptical, but not irrational to the need to provide these new capabilities not especially targeted to your own uses.

-- Tom

5. NormanF

Windows is still 64-bit and UWP apps are still in their infancy.

It'll take a long time for the benefits of terraflop processing to trickle down to the masses.

I still don't see power users rushing to embrace it when nothing has been written for it yet.

Technology is usually ahead of what most people still use today.

6. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

4K gaming, 4K streaming, 3D Rendering, Cinema 4D, Photoshop at high resolution, AutoCAD, Convert large video files, Games Streaming, Multiple virtual machines, emulators at 60 FPS.

18-core 32 threads can be too much for many people, but decade-old dual core processor is not enough, nowdays you need a modern quad-core at least to enjoy the modern computing.

7. NormanF

If you're doing heavy graphics or video-editing work, then one will benefit from a quad-core processor.

If all one is doing is surfing the web, reading and writing e-mails, playing games or watching a movie, a dual core processor is sufficient for most people.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Single thread performance is better for the newer multi-core processors. In the end, you aren't saving much by choosing older dual-core processors and limits the machine's capabilities as well. Then there's power efficiency, future-proofing, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.