Intel to get rid of Atom brand name

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Single sentence quote only...
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130717PD221.html

2. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Well that's a start. The Atom is leftover low-end garbage from netbook "era" .. Doesn't take a marketing genius to do this move!

3. guest

guest Guest

And what's wrong with a netbooko_O I have two of them, great when flying

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well they still got Celeron around wich belongs to an era even before the netbook era, and they plan on keeping it around for a bit longer, and Celeron was in the low-end processor line-up before the Atom was even born :D

5. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Never said anything was wrong with netbooks. I said that the ATOM processor is low-end garbage from around the same time netbooks were popular.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Wasn't the Atom processors built/designed for the netbooks? :doubt:

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

They designed a CPU for a relatively small enclosure(so it can't generate as much heat as other mobile CPU's) and maximum battery life. Of course it is slow, so once it has been released for a while and people get experience with it, it gets known for being slow. Renaming them into something else will perhaps lose the image of being slow, but only for a while, until there is experience again with the new brand name and people share experiences. Still Intel is probably aware of it and will continue with new brand names once in a while, as a cycle of alternating high and low is better than low all the time, so higher sales numbers after a rename means more money. Still it's strange they want to use the Pentium AND Celeron names, as Celeron has the slow budget CPU image. Perhaps they hope most of the people will have forgotten since it's an old name, but still a weird move from Intel.

8. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Eh.. Maybe their PR dept. is just plain dumb and stupid at times. God knows there's enough of that going around in corporate environments!

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Even if they rename Atom and keep the same design it will still be slow. Makes no sense. I used to own a dual core Atom Netbook at it was CRAP, REAL CRAP! :cautious:
    And based on benchmarks, it havent really improved that much since then.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Are you sure it wasn't single-core with hyper-threading like mine? Anyways, Intel finally stepped up to compete against ARM with a redesign as shown right above you, so they're trying to hide past performance with a new brand.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yep, it was an Atom D525 and it sucked!
    I couldnt even multitask properly.

13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Good move. Part of brand positioning.

P.S. Atom was, generally speaking, indeed crap. Only thing good was the battery life out of using netbooks with it.

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've owned several Atom based netbooks, and they had terrible performance. But they probably fared better when netbooks only came with Linux as standard and not Windoze I'm presuming.

15. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I have an old netbook with a Atom cpu that flies. Of course that it doesn't have an HD, but only a memory card that boots Puppy Linux :)

16. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

LINUX :thumb: :thumb:

-cheers,
    feandur

[ Maya, x32, xfce ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.