integrity of customblocking lists

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by raffnixpert, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raffnixpert

raffnixpert Registered Member

I found in Wilders' a link to dak's customblocking list. I had not known that feature of SpywareBlaster before. I read the stuff, found it useful and trustworthy (because recommended in Wilders) and installed it.

SpywareBlaster warns: "Please be careful when using a Custom Blocking List someone else has created."

Therefore I would like to ask the following questions:

1) Is dak's customblocking list really trustworthy?
    2) Could there happen anything to the integrity of this list through
    mishandling or malware?
    3) Is there a way to verify the integrity of the list?
    4) Are there other reliable customblocking lists and would it be useful to
    merge it/them with dak's list?
    5) Do customblocking lists only affect MSIE browsing or are they also relevant
    for Firefox browsing?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

1) While I have not run across a more recent Dak's list other than the Feb 2006 list....I have also not run across any threads @ the numerous Security Forums I frequent stating Dak has gone to the dark side :blink:

However....I will reiterate Javacools caution

Please be careful when using a Custom Blocking List someone else has created

2) Speaking only generically about these type Custom Blocking lists....some online malware scanners will become unuseable given the mechanism of stopping an ActiveX control from running in Internet Explorer....which is what Spywareblasters ActiveX protection and these type of custom blocking lists are accomplishing. This will not only cause a user delay in checking their systems but a slight headache\delay for even those experienced in this Internet Explorer feature that might be assisting the user with their possible infection.

3) As with any custom list....whether it be a Hosts file, Restricted Site entries for IE or in this case....setting a killbit to stop an ActiveX control from running in Internet Explorer....the user needs to be fully aware of where this list is coming from and definetly ask questions in Security Forums such as Wilders as you have done before freely applying any type of custom blocking list.

4) ActiveX killbit type lists are few and far between

5) ActiveX killbit custom blocking lists and\or Spywareblasters ActiveX protection only work for Internet Explorer.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

4. kinky

kinky Registered Member

The list has just been updated yesterday (29May06);)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.