Insufficient Privileges

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ryuuki86, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryuuki86

ryuuki86 Registered Member

Hey there

I've been scouring google for about an hour now trying to figure out this problem but cannot find anything that works. I've recently installed the Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista Premium X64, inevitably it's led to problems as Microsoft is involved. However, none of them have been too bad. Today, however, I booted my PC after being away for a week and found Nod32 screaming at me.

Apparently it had a serious error and needed to be reinstalled. I'm using Nod32 Antivirus V4. So, I listened to it's complaining and went to Add/Remove programs (or whatever the Vista version is called) and did a repair option on the install. However, at the start of the reinstall I get a message saying that the Installer has insuffifient privileges. The full message reads:

The installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file: C:program Files\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\X86\msvcp80.dll
    Cancel / Retry / Ignore

Retry innevitably doesn't work and ignore gives way to similar errors. However, Nod has now disappeared...kinda.

I cannot access Nod, however when I try to reinstall it i get told the Eset service is still running. No matter what I do I cannot get it to bugger off. The installations and uninstallations have completely failed and it now seems impossible to do ANYTHING with it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please fire away as this is the cherry on top of a very bad day...

Thanks

2. ryuuki86

Fixed it using a bit of brute force and ignorance. I had tried looking through registry entries and such but soon got bored so I resorted to the very reliable way of digitally applying a sledge hammer to the problem.

For anyone else experiencing this issue, here is how I resolved it:

Boot in to Safe Mode (continually press ESC while booting, may differ from system to system, my other PC uses Backspace, while my Laptop uses F10)
    For Vista you may have to select F8 from the screen displaying Windows Vista as an option - then select Boot in Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode head to C:\Program Files\ and delete the ESET folder. Then go to C:\ProgramData (you may have to type this in the explorer address bar as it's normally hidden) then delete the ESET folder in there.

Reboot into Windows, then run the installer - should be working again now!

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. ryuuki86

I'm not sure of the relevance of that link, but if it had something to do with the initial problem I woulkdn't have been able to disable those options as I couldn't access Nod at all.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

there was a bug, an incompatibility between sp2 and eset causing the symptoms you described. a fix was issued for it hence the link

6. ryuuki86

Ah brilliant, thanks. No wonder I couldn't find anything on Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.