Installing XP on a system wiped clean

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cal1478, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cal1478

Cal1478 Registered Member

I purchased a Dell XP system that was wiped clean. Everything has been erased, the drivers for the monitors, DOS, everything. I had an XP disk from another system; I tried installing off of that, but to no avail. How do I install the drivers for the monitor so I can see what’s going on. Do I need to install dos? I’m at a loss.

2. zcv

zcv Registered Member

First, installing XP from another system is illegal and wouldn't activate after the first 30 days run period.

If the XP disc is an OEM version - meaning its branded by the OEM who purchased a license for it and is not a Dell OEM version, Dell harware will not allow the install. The Dell is not completely wiped, the BIOS and a hidden partition are still there.

You have to buy a retail copy, in that case you can install XP.

XP contains drivers for your devices which in most cases works, if not, especially for Monitors, you may have to download drivers for it.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Not if the hard drive was wiped REALLY clean.

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello crofttk,

Maybe, but irrelevant, the BIOS is still there.

Regards - Charles

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've done this several times, installing winXPproSP2 on a zero-ed harddisk without any problems, but I have a licenced CD and I always did it on the same computer. I also have several drivers CD's that need to be installed.
    The activation of winXPproSP2 starts with 30 days after each installation and those days decrease every time when I restore these system partitions and that is a problem for me because I like to have several versions of my system partition that have never been ON-LINE.
    Is there a solution for this problem?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  6. crofttk

Irrelevant my A** !!!
    If the Dell restore partition is there and hasn't been wiped, all he has to do is access and restore from that and your licensing issue is what's irrelevant because it's likely the Dell restore partition contains an OS that is licensed for that machine along with all of the appropriate drivers.

The BIOS doesn't give him jacksh*t in that regard, so the BIOS is "irrelevant" to licensing and DRIVERS issues.

Besides, in addition to insulting me by telling me my input is irrelevant, you give the OP unwarranted hope by TELLING him the Dell restore partition is still there when there is no possible way you could know that, Charles.

I've done this too, by purchasing a Dell PC that was wiped clean, and I mean CLEAN ! There was no Dell restore partition. In fact, I removed the paltry 20 GB IDE hard drive and put in a SATA controller and two unformatted 250 GB hard drives.

So, I had to install everything from scratch. Of course it's all fully licensed, registered with Dell, has an active Dell warranty, and the stupid Windows Genuine Advantage stuff is haapy with it all.

7. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello crofttk,

My apologies for the insult - none intended, its the nature of quick written communications.

The BIOS is what brands the system as a Dell.

If the OP is using a XP disc that's not a Dell branded OEM disc, or not a retail disc, its not much use. I've been thru a restoration on a Dell using that partition, and you need the disc.

So how is the OP going to do that w/o having a XP disc that will accepted. If you know how, then please walk him thru it.

Regards - Charles

8. Cal1478

Just to clarify, I have a reinstallation XP CD from a Dell system I currently have.(this is the version I tried to load, but did not work) The clean system is only 3 years old . So I’m still a little confused as to what to do. Are you saying I need to purchase a retail version of xp and it will self load – and install the driver for the monitor so I can see what’s going on.

Thanks for the help…..

9. zcv

zcv Registered Member

This is the illegal part. Unlike lets say Win98, where you could install the same disc on multiple systems, with XP, its one OS disc per computer.

Yes, and the OS has the drivers, including for the Monitor, unless there is something wrong with the hardware.

I'm not there looking over your shoulder. if you can, give more details about the failure to install.

Regards - Charles

10. Cal1478

When I inserted the disk, you could hear the hard drive working – I’m assuming it was the initial boot sequence from the disk – but after a minute or so it stopped. I purchased the system from the city for practically nothing – I spoke with the IT guys and they said they could only sell the system after it was wiped clean. I’m sure there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I was trying the XP disk I had just to see if I could get the drivers for the monitor – then I would decide what os to install. I hooked up the monitor to my current Dell System and I worked just fine…

11. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Ok, I now understand better what you're tryng to do.

Do the CD drive's light up first?

What it sounds like is that the BIOS is set to boot from the HD first, and because there is nothing there, no booting.

When you boot up, tap the Delete key, that should get you into the BIOS.

Once in there, set the primary boot device to the CD ROM. Make sure you apply the settings before exiting.

Then insert the XP cd into the ROM and shut down completely.

Then power the system up, at that point the system should try to boot from the CD first.

Regards - Charles

12. Cal1478

Just so I'm clear - when I turn on the computer - tap the delete key - or after I insert the XP cd. When I turn on the computer it does nothing - only after I put the XP cd in does the HD come to life....

13. Cal1478

Ok, I did as you suggested. When I turned on the computer - the CD drive blinks twice then the HD blinks twice. I tried hitting the delete key – but nothing happened.

14. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi

I got rid of Sony's OEM & installed a retail copy of XP, on my Vaio. Sony & I'm sure Dell are proprietary, and that a search for drivers will not work. Motherboard, video, sound, modem, all can be had at Sony's web site, as "original" drivers. I'll bet original drivers can be had from Dell. Upgrading sound, video card etc. free's one from the proprietary hell.

Take Care
    rico

15. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi Cal,

Getting into the BIOS:
    When booting up, from a power up, boot up with or without the cd, doesn't matter, continuously Tap the delete key from the get go. Its like trying to get into safe mode.

Booting with the XP cd:
    Once you've made the adjustment to the BIOS - then follow the power down with the cd in the ROM/power up with the cd in the ROM procedure.

Regards - Charles

16. Cal1478

I’m wondering why the reinstallation Dell XP CD will not work (it was brand new in the package)– and if I bought a retail version it will….

17. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

If worse comes to worse, you could get a copy of the FREE Ubuntu Linux, it does an incredible job with all the Plug 'n Play stuff. You can run it off your CD drive (as a LiveCD operating system) or install it. It has great apps that are compatible with Microsoft Office. It's really easy and better than a big gray box that XP won't install on. Just a thought. I know you want Windows though, BUT, it IS an alternative.

18. zcv

zcv Registered Member

By this I assume you got into the BIOS and made the change, and still won't boot from the cd.

I don't know whether Dell ties that particular cd to your original system or not, a distinct possibilty.

Do you have a 98 cd laying around, will it install that?

Regards - Charles

19. Cal1478

No I did not get into the Bios - It was already set up to boot from the CD - I still can not see anything on the monitor - I just want to be sure that if I buy the retail version it will work - considering you can not return open software... No i do not have win98 - well I have a few options to try - Thanks for the help. Is their a way to load DOS - and the Monitor driver - Just to make sure everything works...

20. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Cal1478

I am not a Dell user, but I do know the delete key will not get you to to the Dell BIOS setup, I have just done a restore on a friends Dell Dimension 3000 and and the BIOS entry setup key is F2. [and the onboard Ghost restore keys Ctrl-F11]

Here is an old post with some BIOS entry Keys for other models of Dell and many others BIOS:- BIOS Entry Keys

Take care,
    TheQuest :cool:

21. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Cal1478,

Hold off on that retail purchase idea for now, F2 is correct for entering setup!

I also have a Dell which was recently over-written using an Active@Killdisk boot floppy. You should have no problem's monitor-wise to view the setup screen not yet having the graphic's driver installed, unless like zcv has stated .... "there is something wrong with the hardware," in which case only resolution would be limited once XP is underway.

Besides the re-install cd, you also have a Dell "resource" cd, correct? This is the one that contain's all the hardware specific driver's.

GF

22. crofttk

OK, Charles, no problem. I really need to grow a thicker skin I guess.

Looks like the thread is well underway and there's not much more I can say except I bought my Dell laptop back in early March and I could have sworn that it didn't prompt me for a CD or disk when I decided to try the out-of-the box restore before I started cleaning out all the "infomercial free software" and all the other claptrap.

Perhaps it's the fact that I started with an intact system that allowed me to restore that way without otherwise authenticating.

23. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Just an FyI, on my old Dell 4100, the delete key as well as the F2 gets me into the BIOS.

I didn't think of the F2 yesterday.

Regards - Charles

24. tgell

tgell Registered Member

If the original MBR is still intact (which is unlikely as the hard drive has probably been reformated) and the hidden partition still exists, pressing CTRL+F11 at the Dell Logo will restore it to the initial factory state. Check out the site below and click on 'Troubleshooting the Restore Process'. There is a utility called DSRFIX that might be able to restore the CTRL+F11 function once the main partition has been formated.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

Good Luck

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.