Installing Windows 7 Ultimate on my Netbook?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BlackScarletLove, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackScarletLove

BlackScarletLove Registered Member

I just got a netbook and it came with Windows 7 Starter, and a whole lot of preloaded crap.
    Apparently it also doesn't come with a boot disc, that the 'factory settings' are hidden deep within the system somewhere.

Well, I don't seem to like the factory settings, and I want to install Windows 7 full version, clean, with no preloaded crap, but I don't know the best way to go about it, since this netbook doesnt have a disc drive.

Also, I'll be departitioning and formatting and installing blank, but if something goes amiss, I don't have a disk to reinstall the starter edition?

I've heard I can turn a USB into a boot drive to install an OS off of, but can I download a backup copy of Starter Edition to put back on the computer in case anything goes wrong?

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmm... I will just un-install the crap and use windows starter. Why i should pay for windows again when It,s already there with the netbook and I think starter edition will ne enough.

For XP, there was a way to create a windows CD from the installed OS and I used it successfully. I don,t know if it can be done with win 7 or not. You can try vLite.

4. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

There probably is a way to backup your current Starter system (yes, with the pre-installed stuff) on a big enough media. For example, I'm using Asus EEE PC 1015PN. I have an option to backup my system to a USB stick / USB drive larger than 16 GB.

If you have the money, try to do that, and by all means, install a better Windows Edition. Only reason why I'm still running Starter is the lack of money.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I can tell you right now that I just uninstalled the crap from MY laptop and then a few months I reformatted for other reasons. I hadn't realized how much was left behind until I wiped it all clean.

6. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

7 starter is not so bad, is a 32bit so you can easely use free Revo Uninstaller to delete crapware from the system, after that install your favorite programs and finaly use Keriver 1 click free http://www.keriver.com/oneclick_free.html to make an imaging of your personal system
    Keriver is great for netbook because it start on boot similar to grub in linux so in case of disaster or formatted partition you press arrow key on boot and simply strart recovery (recovery imagine must be in other partition or hd), no need cd or bartPE USB key or other supports, easy and effective program IMHO
    No need to get Micro$oft reacher and reacher with other OS buyed

7. axial

axial Registered Member

SevenForums have excellent tutorials on how to create USB installations, including how to slipstream SP1 into them. And I'm sure they also have tutorials on how to backup your current installation first.

Check the "Installation and Setup" forum section, then just above the postings there's a link to the installation tutorials.

http://www.sevenforums.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.