Installing Win7 UPGRADE version

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I know that there have been a couple of excellent threads about installing Win7 into an empty snapshot. But this will not work with an Upgrade version of Win7 would it?

I want to install Win7 Home Premium (no hidden 100mb partition with Home Premium, correct?, or do all Win7 versions have it) onto my 2-year-old pc that has WinXP. I do not want to remove FirstDefense or any of my important XP Snapshots. How would I install Win7 Upgrade version, would I have to install it directly on top of one of my XP Snapshots so that the Win7 can see my XP installation since it is an upgrade? If this is the method, which sounds rather easy, do I need to do anything else special because of the FirstDefense software? I will be choosing the 32-bit Win7.

Thank you,
    Acadia

P.S. I can think of a couple more questions because of the unique situation of having FD on this system, but I will ask them later; one thing at a time.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure about the 100mb partition, it may be a function of whether the Win 7 version is a full retail version.

As to the upgrade, there is no upgrade path from XP to Win 7, unfortunately.

Pete

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, Peter, I know that, but in order to use an Upgrade version of Win7 instead of a full version, don't I need to install it on a system that can see that there is a valid XP?

Acadia

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You can install Windows 7 upgrade on XP. Both have to be the same operating versions, meaning x86 or x64. You cannot upgrade from XP x86 to Windows 7 x64.

The upgrade version is cheaper, so it requires upgrade either from XP or Vista. But you can do a clean install instead of upgrade and then fiddle the registry entries and re-arm, before activating.

Best regards,

KOR!

5. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

There is a way you can install Windows 7 on a clean disk with an upgrade version. You can do it like this:

When you first install the upgrade version, it will ask for the serial number/key. Do NOT enter it. Skip it and it will install an unactivated copy of Windows 7. After you finally finish and have the desktop showing, you insert the upgrade CD while you are in the Windows desktop. The CD will upgrade your "old windows" and THEN you enter the serial number/key. After it is finished upgrading, you can activate it as if you upgraded from Vista.

It takes installing windows twice but it works! Don't forget to use the disk cleaner (found in your start menu/all programs/accessories/system tools to get rid of the "system.old".

SourMilk out

6. aladdin

You don't have to install it twice, only once. Yes, do NOT enter the serial number/key during installation and install an activated copy of Windows 7. After the installation there are three methods to activate, the following one (third method) has always worked for me:

Best regards,

KOR!

7. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

LOL. Just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat - especially when you don't want to mess with the registry or install twice.

There is another way but it's way too involved for newbies and it uses third party software (which I don't trust and would never recommend.)

SourMilk out

8. aladdin

The following doesn't involve registry:

Best regards,

KOR!

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, if I follow pandlouk's instructions in post number 2 of my other thread, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=291797 , I can avoid all of that messy stuff: just install the Win7 upgrade on top of a legitimate XP. Later reinstall FirstDefense and bring back XP from an archive.

This sounds like the simplest method to me, assuming that I am understanding everything correctly.

But I want to thank everyone for all the help and suggestions, which I am marking the locations of in case I need them in the future. :cool:

Acadia

10. Peter2150

Acadia

I think you are confusing the term upgrade.

If you are running XP, and do an Upgrade to Vista, in theory you will have Vista with all your other software intact. In theory you could then "upgrade" to Win 7 and have Win 7 and all your software intact.

If you "upgrade" from XP straight to Win 7 you will end up with a clean install of Win 7 and none of your software. There is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win 7.

Pete

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

12. Peter2150

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.