Installing Win7 on new HDD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AaLF, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Guys, I intend to finally concede and install Win7 Home premium (32) on the weekend rather than ye ol' XP. I have an unwrapped 500GB HDD sitting waiting. Normally I set aside 50GB for the XP Cdrive and divvy up the rest into a couple of data partitions.

How much GB do I need to set aside for Win7 cdrive?
    Any tips about installing Win7 (32) ?
    I heard mentioned once long ago I can run Win7 in one partition and also have XP in another partition all on the same HDD? What was he talking about?

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

50 is kinda low space IMO, go 100GB for Windows and the rest for a backup partition.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have an 80gb ssd drive, and it fills up pretty quickly. I install large apps like games to a different drive too.

If you plan on your system not changing much after you set it up, 50gb might work, but I think you will need more. A typical install including office apps etc seems to be around 35gb or so. This includes the cache file, which can get pretty large.

You can multiboot. In win7 you use a different method, but think of it as the boot.ini that XP has. You install the other OS to a different partition and the boot menu allows you to choose which to boot into.

It is easier though IMO to have a secondary drive for alternate OS rather than on the same drive different partition.

Sul.

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Do you mean your OS (operating system) partition? Just a bit confused because you don't have to make that your "c:" partition, though most do.

100 GB?!... holy smokes! LOL, 7 must be a titan. On XP Pro here I set aside 15 GB for my OS partition, and 9 GB of that is free space.

In any event, I recommend leaving your OS plenty of room to breathe. I've noticed things run smoother when there's free space in there. I guess it needs room to stretch it's legs, or something. I'd say even make the size of the partition double what the OS will take up.

Or at least, I've noticed this helps on XP. 7 could be an entirely different story.

5. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. My sister swears she'll never go to Win7. She's like that. She reckons that as Win7 is still SP1 there's a big chance we'll see SP2 before XP's plug is finally pulled.

Is that a possibility? I thought as we now have Win8, we'll not see an Win7-SP2.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Can't really apply that reasoning, since they came out with a SP3 for XP after releasing Vista and (I think) 7 too.

I personally side with your sister on this issue... sorry ; ) Even if there isn't a SP2 for 7 by then, I still side with her just because XP is awesome and I'd want to enjoy it as long as possible.

7. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Me too. My siggy remains as is. :thumb:

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I think it depends more on if a new version offers anything you really want. Win7 did for me, I use many of its features every day that XP did not have, that actually improve my experience. If it did not, I would have stayed with XP most likely. Win8 will be the same way for me.

Of course if you don't even try win7 at all you will be just as happy because you won't know what you were missing lol.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.