Installing Version 11 over version 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mediaman, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mediaman

Mediaman Registered Member

1) Should I uninstall V10 before installing V11?, or is it okay just to run the V11 setup?

2) Will V11 read V10 files?

3) Must I create a new boot CD? I assume yes so that it can read new V11 files.

I am using Vista.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Re: Isntalling Version 11 over version 10

The general recommendation here is to uninstall first. Yes it will read V10 files and yes you need to create a new boot CD.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you use Safe Mode on the boot CD, then save your ATI 10 Boot CD. The ATI 11 CD won't have Safe Mode.

4. ugar69

ugar69 Registered Member

I thought upgrading was to gain features and functionality... curious as to why are we losing Bart PE and safe mode?

5. shieber

Maybe because some folks compained about the install file size and most folks didn't use either so Acronis decicde to leave it out or maek them optional additional downloads. The manual suggests that you can download install files to add both to your ATI, but whether that's possible hasn't been verified.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, they will be available in the future. Some things take time.:D

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just a suggestion, make the rescue/boot CD's on a RW type, it'll save CD's when the next build pops out.

Colin

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. ugar69

ugar69 Registered Member

that's a great idea bodgy, simple but affective ;)

9. mustang

mustang Developer

You guys do realize the TI10 Cd won't read TI11 backups. Acronis has slipped in another change in the archive format with TI11.

10. al92lt1

al92lt1 Registered Member

I simply installed Version 11 over Version 10 and lost no functionality and all settings and scheduled tasks remained intact. It sounds like you guys are trying to make an easy upgrade complicated.

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

That is quite appaling. Acronis state clearly that versions are backwards compatible to at least the previous version.
    I begin to wonder what sort of happy medication the developers are using. Their vision of reality is plainly somewhat blurred.

Xpilot

12. al92lt1

Mustang is putting out some incorrect info. Images created with previous versions are fully accessible with ver. 11

13. shieber

According to a post from Acronis, if you send in a tech support ticket with your purchase and serial number info, they will give you the safe mode and/or the BartPE.

14. shieber

Are you sure? Someone already said they tried it and it worked.

15. shieber

duplicate post in error

16. shieber

No. Not trying to make it sound complicated. I've done it both ways. Installing over 10 can work, but you will have Trueimage and Trueimagehome directories and trueimage service.exe and trueimagehomeservice.exe files, each from a diff version of ATI. Depending on how you access your task, this could cause some confusion.

Doing a scrub of ATI 10 and then a installing 11 left orphaned Backup Locations and Tasks

17. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Re- read what Mustang actually said. That does not correspond with your reply.

Xpilot

18. shieber

So, is Mustang saying you can't Mount or can't validate although yu can restore ATi 10 backups with ATI 11?

19. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

This is what he actually said;-
    You guys do realize the TI10 Cd won't read TI11 backups. Acronis has slipped in another change in the archive format with TI11.
    Seems clear enough.

Xpilot

20. al92lt1

"You guys do realize the TI10 Cd won't read TI11 backups. Acronis has slipped in another change in the archive format with TI11." NOT TRUE

It works for me, maybe all these problems, double directories, no backward compatibility, etc are with XP, I'm using Vista and simply installed 11 over 10, made a new rescue media and all was perfect.

21. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

What Mustang is saying is that TI 11 can read images created by TI 10 or earlier versions (i.e. backward compatibility) but TI 10 or earlier versions (including their bootable rescue CD's) cannot read images created by TI 11.

Regards

Menorcaman

22. mustang

mustang Developer

Hey, I'm not trying to start an uproar here. Just trying to have a little fun. What Menorcaman said is exactly what I meant.

TI11 is backwards compatable as promised. However, when they sold TI10 they never promised forward compatability. They have introduced a new archive format in TI11. We went though this once before in the middle of the TI9 run. As was the case then, I suspect they are trying to solve the corrupt archive problems. Let's hope it works. You just have to be aware that older versions of TI will not be able to read backups created with TI11. The biggest issue with this is that you can not solve problems with the TI11 Recovery CD simply by using the TI10 CD in its place.

23. al92lt1

I just finished checking my Acronis directory and my registry and I have no extra left over stuff from version 10. As I said earlier, I simply installed version 11 over version 10 and everything was perfect. I have always done it this way since I started using True Image version 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and now 11.

24. al92lt1

If you have version 11, why would you try to restore a version 11 image with a version 10 CD?

25. SloPoke

SloPoke Registered Member

Because your TI11 boot CD won't boot due to lack of safe mode and the TI11 BartPE plugins are not provided?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.