Installing the "action pack"?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by ArchAngel_8, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchAngel_8

ArchAngel_8 Registered Member

:D Hi...
    I have purchased TDS-3, Worm Guard3. and Port Explorer. I also purchased Process Guard. I ordered it over the weekend and have not recieved the user info due to the Holidays, but I was wondering if anybody had any advice on any specific order I should install the various programs? I asume I should disable my FW & AV, but does it matter if I install TDS-3 first or Process Guard? I only ask because with 4 programs all at once, I could imagine some compexity and or specific order that would make the installl go smoothly. If my concerns are misguided or foolish then please excuse the post! :p

2. I think this is a good question.

I am in the same position and have the same concerns, great if someone could answer.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi all, i wasn't around so sorry i kept you waiting.
    Yes, it is imperative to close all av/at (and maybe firewall) and i'd start with PE
    then TDS and after WG.
    Now i guess all should be running fine --i mean WG enabled and tested, PE unlocked and all the various keyfiles in each program-- if i'm wrong excuse me, but i think PG should come last, so you can protect all the just installed programs all at a time.
    If you also get CryptoSuite you can install that wherever you want in the order and you might like to do that for the same reason before PG too.
    In case there is any reason to have PG installed before anything, i hope people jump in to tell this soon!

After the installs you'll have to reboot, no matter which windows version you're using!
    Win9x users will have to reboot after each install anyway, others might be able to reboot once after all is installed at a time?

Hope this helps!

4. ArchAngel_8

Hey jooske..

I actually was curious if I download the programs individually or as a group(since I bought them in a group)? But i will follow your order as far as install goes. Unfortunatelly I purchased PG after the Action Pack so I think that will be last to arrive as far as liscence info... But i can wait and install them as the experts "out Here" feel is best :D :D As some may have seen, I screwed up my NOD32 install so I am a little nervouse going for a combined 4 program install. But I amsure all will work out in the end.. :p

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Don't worry, each program is an individual download, so you can install them patiently as you like and you might like to reboot after each individual install. You'll have the keyfiles and registration emails individually too. Other then advised, i would not delete the registration emails but copy them to another medium (diskette or such) with also the keyfiles, so you have them always in case anything happens or you need info from the email again. You can have them back at all times asking support of course, but.......
    I installed the various programs in the opposite order during the years, TDS, WG, anothe WG version, another TDS version, PE, somewhere between various upgrades of the firewall and as win98 user i can't use PG unfortunately, but that will be solved in due time once ready for another system.

Hope it helps!

6. ArchAngel_8

;) Aabsolutally joosky.... I need all the "help" ONE COULD RECIEVE..LOL :doubt:
    It must be rewarding to be a B TESTER....? I only wish I had the "skills" to assist forum members the way You Moderators and Seinor menbers do! :rolleyes:
    I will relax and wait for my activation info and if I have any questions I will post again in this thread.. But if History is an indicator.. advise Paul not to close this thread...LOL :D

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

ArchAngel_B, you have already the B and are familiar with testing things on your system, the other parts one grows in using the stuff etc.
    Part of my history in this field you see in the "come say Hi!" thread in my signature, so be assured there is hope for everyone to grow into this more by the day!
    For TDS you find very useful tips in the sticky threads on top of this forum.

8. ArchAngel_8

Hi, I just installed TDS3(I think I copied the license key properly). I was attempting to update the update.cfg file, which I saved to the TDS3 file and attempted to update the program and recieved the followinf error message.

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illigal instruction csodb3 IP 0272 OP:63 74 75 73 2e

Any ideas what I did wrong? :rolleyes:

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi ArchAngel_8, Never seen that one before!

Can you go her: http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update
    Download the latest radius file & update.cfg as per the instructions on the page.

Please let us know if there are any more problems when you have done so.

HTH Pilli

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Which windows version are you using?
    In winnt it could be an own system protection for registry changes, so that would need some settings. Depending if it is with startup of the system after reboot or at startup TDS.
    It could have to do with missing or corrupted files too.

11. ArchAngel_8

:) Het Pilli & jooske...

My EXEC is not installed(according to TSD3 main modual).. Could this be my problem? I followed Pilli's advice and downloaded the latest Radius and also the update file(the option just below the radius update section) and I still get the same thing as before. I'm running XP Pro with current updates....
    I got WG, PE, & PG installed succesfully so I am :D, but would be :D if I could resolve this TDS issue..LOL :rolleyes:

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Open the TDS menu - Execution Protection - Install
    TDS should pop up a box saying that install was successful.
    If you close and restart TDS EP should still be installed.
    If you then click in the readout box you dhould see that EP is installed OK

HTH Pilli :D

13. ArchAngel_8

Hey... I got the EXEC installed.. although it does not effect the original problem...

One addition to the Error message.. in the error message box(surrounding the message body) it says 16 Bit MS DOS SUB SYSTEM...

Does that help ID the problem?

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Are you running XP or Win 2000? If so, and I am only guessing here, is it running on a FAT32 partition?
    The reason I ask is that looking at your post it may be that you are trying to do an NTFS scan of Hidden streams or have enabled "Boot TDS Priority NT" which is not possible on a FAT32 partition.
    If you are not sure - Open "My Computer" right click on your hard drive Icon and then select properties & File system will show either NTFS or FAT32.

If it is FAT32 then disable (by unticking) the above mentioned item (boot TDS priority NT) in the configuration settings & in scan control untick scan hidden streams & show hidden streams.

15. ArchAngel_8

Hey...

I'm running XP Pro......

And my drives(partitioned into C & D ) are both NTFS ...

Does that setting you mentioned affect NTFS file systems?

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

No, Everything should work on NTFS partitions :)

BTW do you have Wintasks Pro 4 running, if so was it running when you installed TDS? This may be the cause of your error message.

18. ArchAngel_8

Hey....
    No jooske, my computer came with XP Pro installed.

pilli.. I just downloaded "speed up my pc" which I think is from the same company and does similar tasks, Monitoring my system ect.

19. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I am almost sure that is the problem. Have you done a scan with TDS yet?
    If not just do C:\windows or wherever you have your windows folder just to ensure that TDS is working.

20. ArchAngel_8

:rolleyes: Running a full systam scan now... I was waiting for the proper updates but i will let you know the details...

I have a P4(descktop) 2.8 gzh proccesor with 512MB ram... in a notebook
    should my machine be "struggling" to run a TDS3 scan?

21. ArchAngel_8

Hi again....

I was "fooling around" in TDS and in Enviornmental Settings it lists my OS as being NT. Is that because XP is based on NT? I have never seen that anywhere on my system.. Every indication from the system to third party software indicates my system is XP Pro....
    Also since my last post I have completed two full system scans and there is no change in the problem I am experiencing with the update function.

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hope reading the pages i gave you links for above give some clues in yiour situation as they worked for others.
    As you can have seen in the first MSKB link it is giving step by step instructions to go exactly to the windows environmental settings.
    The links also explain win2000/XP refuses to accept 16-bits programs, causing more programs to stop working at all.
    Haven't seen the error mentioned by not any other XP Pro user though, nor anybody else.

23. ArchAngel_8

Hi jooske..... Yes I checked out those liknks, and even did some "Googling" of my own based on the links you located for me. It is starting to look like its an OS problem, and that TDS is working fine. I just downloaded manually the newest Radius server update 07/01/2004, so atleast I am protected from the "nasties" ...
    Unfortunately I think I could be way out of my league with this NTVDM CPU problem. many of the possible fixes and even checks require a registry edit, somthing I do not feel comfortable "toying" with. But thanks again for the links :D :D :D

24. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Is that second link, the first from MS not to get via the control panel to the environmental settings and no need to get into the registry at all?
    I still wonder why you with an XP Pro get this problem for a server or NT system.
    Something must be done about it, for this seems a serious settings issue.
    Maybe if you google around you can find more specific information. Not sure if a specific install (program, driver) might have overwritten a file. You can seach via windows for the file and look for creation and modification date.
    I don't have it on my system so i can't help you from own experience.

25. ArchAngel_8

Hi jooske....

I checked out all of the links you posted, although I did not see and options to fix the problem in the contrl panel. Also, many of the ways to diagnose the problem involve checking registry enteries, and other "deep" areas of my computer. I really am not experienced enouth to even find a particular reg key in regedit, never mind changing one. But I am continuing to reaserch the problem and I am determined to find a fix. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.