Installing Slackware Linux - Full tutorial

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I have finally completed and posted a full step-by-step guide to installing and configuring Slackware Linux 11.0.

The guide includes partitioning information, basic installa setup, some advanced editing of system files and script, configuration of a firewall using iptables, package management, and more. The guide is mainly aimed at the intermediate user, but there's no reason why beginners should not benefit from it.

The guide builds on the knowledge and information provided in other tutorials, the SUSE and Kubuntu guides.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/install_slackware.html

I would appreciate comments, suggestions, typos corrections etc.

Have fun.

Mrk

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hi Mrkvonic,

Tried Ubuntu linux and it is a pain.Gave it a week!

Don't know why you keep pushing it unless it can look and feel like XP.

As for your guide I'm sure diehard linux fans will find it usefull but honestly, it ain't no use for XP pro users which are the majoriry!

3. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Pushing? I'm enjoying myself, educating myself, having fun. Besides you need not read my posts or even click any links in them. Hey, freedom of forum, eh?

Second, you tried Ubuntu and gave it a week? How long have you been using Windows? A week? Did you give up on Windows after a week?

Example: Try a software like AutoCAD or Matlab. I'm not talking an operating system, just one program. Let's see how well you'll be able to use them after a week.

I have yet to find a total showstopper in Linux. There will always be problems, but nothing a bit of patience and some reading won't solve. Considering there are hundreds of distros available, everything works very nicely.

Mrk

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

A week is a long time in PC circles as you should know. :)

Do you put up with a beta app that is too hard to work out or constanly refuses your commands after a coupla hours, let alone a weeko_O

Just couldn't get the hang of linux.

It is dull,boring and way too hard after using Xp.

Peace Bro!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  5. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

lol, some people, unbelievable ... tsk tsk.. :rolleyes:

---

Mrk, thanks. am one of those people whove bookmarked your site long ago. Many thanks :thumb:

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think like Franklin except for the Linux dismissal/ critic. I just need a 2nd computer, like an old one, to start trying. XP works, so...

I read in a magazine that there is no reason why SUSE Linux wouldn't work straight out of the box. To see it for myself without messing with what i have i need that 2nd computer. Maybe when my father buys another one, and give me that oldie he has. Then maybe a dual-boot with two distro's?:D If one has trouble, the other will tick

Thank you MrK for sharing your input. I too bookmarked the site:thumb:

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,

A moral story:

I have recently installed Ubuntu 6.10 on another machine. This is a brand new machine and I had NO drivers, whatsoever, including sound and network.

I had sources on the manufacturer's CD. I successfully compiled the network. But sound driver was broken.

So I googled the brand of my mobo + drivers and found the right drivers. Configured, made, made installed them.

The problem was that neither network nor sound were added on boot.

So I added them to the boot chain > one into modules, another I wrote a script that loads it.

Then, Nvidia graphic driver. Synaptic offered an older version. So I downloaded manually and compiled the driver.

Had some problems with certain resolutions. Manually configured xorg.

Some of my hard drivers had not been formatted during the install and were later missing in the list, so I added them to the fstab.

Amarok did not support mp3, I downloaded the codecs.

Downloaded an .rpm for something, can't remember which - but that's not a debian package. Alien to convert the .rpms to .deb.

Internet connection sharing? Yes please.

VMware Server? Yes please.

And everything worked.

Satisfaction? Orgasmic. Knowledge + experience? Boosted one notch more.

All it took was a bit of patience to work things out, slowly, carefully.

Considering that I will NOT have to waste hours configuring firewall to protect my outbound connection from phone-home applications typical of Windows, hours applying security patches every month, downloading AV, AT, AK, and whatever, I think the time invested was well spent.

Time invested = 1-2 hours.

Average monthly Windows maintenance - 15 minutes (I wish).

Time to equal - about 6 months.

If I need to repeat this on another new machine, it will take me about 10 minutes, the same time needed to do the same thing using Windows.

All I'm saying, everything is doable, just a bit of guts and resolve are needed.

Now think of the worry and fuss in the "seamless" Windows, whenever you visit a "malicious page", whenever you download an attachment, think of rootkits and anti-rootkits, posting on Sysinternals forum to understand the meaning of results, false positives with AV scanner, registry broken, BSOD...

Cheers all.

Mrk

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

10. dog

dog Guest

Nice Work Mrk :)

Keep it up my friend :cool: I'm sure your efforts have helped more than a few people discover a better PC world.

Steve

11. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

No Way
    iceni60 that's just what I was thinking of when I read that:)

thanks Mrkvonic your tutorials are great.

12. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Thanks all.

@dog, every Windows to Linux convert adds a month to your life...

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.