Installing Programs in Non-system partition?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tradetime, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

What would be the bad points, disadvantages or risks of creating a "Programs Folder" on a partition other than the OS partition and installing programs there?
    My drive is partitioned C:, D:, and E: I have my OS on the standard C: drive, Vista64, but want to install software into a "program folder" on my D: partition.
    Thanx

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This is not a problem normally. Registry normally houses the installation path to a program if needed. Some programs are badly coded with a hard-coded path to installation folder. Usually older programs though.

What I do is install things like games onto other partition. I monitor each install with program called InstallRite. This captures the happenings of what was written or modified, both to files and registry. Then I export the registry vals and keep them with the program on the d:\Program Files directory. This way, if I have to restore c: from an image, my installs are still on d: and I just merge regfile to get functionality back. You will have to make your own shortcuts though doing this.

I have had some games that were installed to other than c: that gave problems though.

Sul.

3. tradetime

Thanx Sully

4. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I do it all the time. It makes imaging go faster and I am able to decrease the size of my OS partition that reduces head movement for speed. If you decide to put your data on another hard drive, you might consider using a synchronization copy data program to place the data on both drives. (I'm a belt and suspenders man :D ).

One word of caution, I found that some antiviruses may need to stay on your OS partition because of registry changes.

Have fun,
    SourMilk out

5. tradetime

Thanx SourMilk, good to know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.