Installing on Win98

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by BruceH, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceH

BruceH Registered Member

I've tried to install the version of NOD32 for win95/98/ME that is supplied in the April edition of the Australian PC User magazine (file name no9xpcu.exe). However, when I do, I get an error message stating that this version is for win95/98/ME, and the installation fails. I've tried it on four different win98 machines with the same result on each. Do you know what's happening?

Thanks

Bruce

2. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Try to dl file from eset's web.

3. BruceH

BruceH Registered Member

The version supplied with the magazine has a valid password for that month. That way, I buy my nod32 in monthly installments, and get a magazine thrown in for free :)

I have sucessfully downloaded the trial version to get me through this month, but if it doesn't work again next month I'm stuffed. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and this is the first time it's messed up.

Bruce

4. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Sounds like this in an issue to be taken up with the Australian PC User magazine people. As mrtwolman suggested, if you download from Eset's site there should be no problem.

Regards,
    Bandicoot.

5. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

Fully functional evaluation versions of the NOD32 Antivirus System have been included on Australian PC User cover CDs every month since May 2001. These evaluation versions expired at the end of the issue month, providing up to 7 weeks to try the program.

NOD32 is not "free for life" software, but thousands of people have been using it free for months (years, in some cases) by installing a new evaluation copy from those CDs each month ... sometimes on dozens of PCs.

This is no longer possible. When an evaluation version expires, installation of subsequent evaluation versions may be blocked, or antivirus database updates may be blocked.

Licensing NOD32 allows normal use of the program.

6. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

BruceH,
    I have had the same response, PC USER have now in the May Issue anounced that we are no longer able to up-grade.
    Unfortunately the people here at NOD32 seem to think that we who have in good faith used PC USER up-grades of NOD32 are Software Pirates.
    You can read my Post
    Not Updating In Dual Boot

hawk22

7. sig

sig Registered Member

Hawk: Not software pirates necessarily, but people who knowingly used a trial evaluation version that is fully functional only for a limited time (as other trial versions of commercial software tend to be) and then uninstalled/reinstalled monthly rather than buy the product that they clearly liked enough to go through the bother of a monthly uninstall/reinstall. That's what boggles me. When there are indeed free AVs available that can be used indefinitely without any restrictions on use.

Trial evaluation versions included in mags are a way to market the commercial product. It's not the same as a free AV....which do not require and uninstall/reinstall on a monthly basis. If the mag encouraged such behavior and made it seem that it was providing a free AV for perpetual use was the intent, that's on the mag. (And also ESET to the extent that it allowed it to continue for as long as it did.) You paid for the mag, not the AV, and perhaps the mag posed its provision of the NOD trial in the way it did in order to boost its own sales...as part of its marketing campaign (which appears to have worked since people would buy the mag rather than the AV). If the mag misrepresented its provision of the NOD trial to its users, that's on the mag. But the continued use of a trial evaluation version past the expiration date without purchasing the product because that was possible is on the users.

The user at some point had to figure that the purchased NOD would not have the restrictions of the trial evaluation version. Is it good faith to continue to use a trial evaluation version of a commercial software long past the trial period rather than purchase the product just because you could? You got a freebie using the AV for considerably more than the trial period so I don't see that there's much cause for complaint when it's pointed out that the trial was not intended for perpetual use and such use is now ended.

8. I was a 2 years user of the free PC User NOD32, but I bought a licence when Rod "rodzilla" explained the situation to me. That was while I was in Australia, on the phone, and he didn't make any suggestion that I or any other PC User subscriber was pirating the program.

Hawk is full of *** please withold from personal insults - paul. Read the other Topic. Nobody accused him or anybody else of being Software Pirates. He's just pissing an moaning because he can't use NOD32 free any more. Don't take any notice of him.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2004
  9. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

sig,
    This is exactly the situation that most people here ASSUME and that is incorrect.
    Using NOD32 from the Cover CD of PC USER Australia we did NOT require to uninstall the Program and then reinstall we where given Username and Password on the CD and this is all that was required for the Monthly Update. With complete Instructions on how to use Your Free Monthly Update.
    Just as it is now when you do a manual update you have to enter your username and password and we where providet with such so we had no reason at all to believe that it was only a 1 Month Trail.
    I have sent a Letter to PC USER including the Notice from Rodzilla requesting a clarification of the very unpleasant situation.
    I had posted here myself and was greeted with the same attitude "You should have known it's not free"
    There are thousands of people here in Australia who had taken advantage of the offer. PC USER Aust. has a circulation of more than 67 thousand. It would be one of Australias most popular Computer Magazine and they (in my opinion) would not encourage readers to update on a regular monthly basis if it was not permittet.
    hawk22

10. sig

sig Registered Member

Ah, I think either someone else previously said some time ago that they uninstalled and reinstalled or I simply misunderstood, which is entirely possible.

But....just to clarify...I've never had to re-enter my ID and password to update NOD as long as the license is current. Only enter the new ones once when I renew my license. I've seen people mention that before but that isn't or at least certainly shouldn't be the case with the registered version.

Anyway, it looks like the mag may have gotten a lot of customers because of this practice. I don't know what the mag costs but some mags for a year could easily cost more than NOD's annual license renewal (at least here in the USA, that is). No doubt the change will catch many readers/users up short. But again, a really free AV (at least those with which I'm familiar) doesn't have any such restrictions and a trial version is still a trial version, as in try in order to buy or use something else without those restrictions. Why ESET allowed it to continue as long as it did is another matter.

11. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

You are absoluteley right, I can not understand why ESET knowingly allowed us to use the program for years.
    You only had to enter your username and password that was providet on the CD on a monthly basis.
    I am looking forward to reading the explanation from the Magazine.

hawk22

12. LuSiD

LuSiD Registered Member

I know this issue is just about dead, but.............

I recently attempted to install the trial version from the CD (PC user) on a computer that had never seen or even heard of Nod32 before and I got the same error message...........

what's that all about, definately no trial version or anything on this computer because I just formatted the hard drive...

Any idea's.?

o_O o_O

13. rodzilla

There's a problem with the occasional Windows98 installation from CD ... I'm not sure "why" ... maybe BIOS or motherboard related. The downloadable versions don't seem to have the problem.

Drop me an email and I'll see what I can do to sort it out.

14. rodzilla

> I have sent a Letter to PC USER including the Notice from Rodzilla requesting a clarification of the very unpleasant situation.

You used to be able to use NOD32 free from PC User month after month.

Now you can't ... and PC User told you in the May issue that you can't.

What's "unpleasant" about it ?

15. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

Sorry Rod, I don’t want to come across as a whinger if you know what I mean.
    In your reply you had clearly pointed out that the practice by many readers of using NOD32 month after month sometimes for years (true) was never meant to happen,
    but it did and now knowing so, is not very pleasant.
    A stop to this practise should have been implemented long before.

Hawk22

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.