Installing NOD32 A/V when machine is infected ?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by glaucon, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glaucon

glaucon Registered Member

Hi - I have a licence for "ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition for Microsoft Windows Win XP/2000/2003/Vista/Win 7" and I'd like to go ahead and install it but I have a problem !

It's a Vista Ultimate machine on which I have run MalwareBytes (quick scan) and S+D as Administrator in Safe Mode and come up clean (actually it didn't come up clean initially but I cleaned, rebooted and then rescanned).

The problem is that when I now logon as a normal user every .exe I try to run generates the dialog "Please choose which program you wish to use to open this file".

I've seen various fixes for this problem but none fill me with confidence.

Would it be OK / possible to install the NOD32 Antivirus as Administrator and then allow the to fix the problem with the "Please choose which program ..." problem ?

Thanks

2. glaucon

Well things are a little better ! But I'm interested to know whether it's now OK to install NOD32.

I ran MalwareBytes as the user who was originally infected and that found a Broken.OpenCommand . Once that was removed then the user interface began to work normally again (ie no prompting for 'Which Program would you like to open this file with' when attempting to execute a file).

However I now want to go ahead and install NOD32 but I'm not sure if the machine is sufficiently clean ? What (if anything) should I do before installation to establish this ?

Thanks.

3. JesusV

JesusV Former ESET Support Rep

4. JesusV

Open a ticket with ESET support and PM me your case number. Support can assist in making sure it is ok to install NOD32 on your workstation.

http://www.eset.com/support/contact#

Regards,
    Jesus

5. glaucon

Hi Jesus - Thanks for your help. I've opened the ticket. Unfortunately when I try to PM you there's a message saying that 'Personal Messaging is currently unavailable'. I take it you would rather that I didn't quote the ticket number in this forum ?

In the meantime as the file association problem seems to have been resolved by finding and removing Broken.OpenCommand I'm not sure if I should you follow your suggestion at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1831996&postcount=3 ? Would be interested to hear what you think.

In the meantime I will try the PM thing again shortly.

Regards

Richard.

6. JesusV

I just PMed you,

Reply to me with your ticket number.

My suggestion adds an entry in the registry that replaces the current values and sets them to its default settings.

Regards,
    Jesus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.