Installing New Programs

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Ryan Hayward, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Hayward

Ryan Hayward Registered Member

Is it really necessary to disable or switch to learning mode when installing new programs ?
    Process Guard alerts me anyway to exe activity and asks whether I wish to allow it or not.

2. passing thru

passing thru Guest

It will be necessary if the program requires the installation of drivers/services, which are normally blocked by PG. You may otherwise end up with a broken installation if you ignore/miss PG's alert and continue with the install. It's best to know ahead of time whether or not you will be installing drivers/services. If no drivers/services are involved, then there is no need to disable PG.

3. Ryan Hayward

I have the box unticked that is " block new & changed applications "
    It warns me when a program is about to do something and asks me if I wish to give it permission so I just figured the program I am installing will install correctly when I grant permission.

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Sometimes. If the program just extracts some files and makes a shortcut ? no problems at all.

A more complex installer could try to install a driver once, and then fail. So you would need to disable protection or disable block drivers IF you trust the program is ok.

Some installers will try a few times, while some will repeatedly try, so you could quickly react by going to the ALERTS and click allow.

What you are doing is fine, but be prepared for the above situations. It depends what you install really :)

5. Ryan Hayward

Thanks for your response. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.