installing linux

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hossie, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Hi,

I am beginner in this..

I have a spare hard drive and I want to install linux in it and install it with other Windows XP operating cd.. with the priority booting options..

how to do that

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi hossie;

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking ... could you specify a little more?

Steve

3. hossie

hossie Registered Member

sorry for not being so clear..

I want to have two different operating systems windows XP and linux
    on two different hard disk.

and I want when I boot the computer, I should get the options to select the operating system like windows xp or linux .

Thanks and regards,
    Vineet singh

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Vineet, :)

All you need to do is install XP first and then Linux ... the linux bootloader will rewrite the MBR and allow you to choose which OS you wish to boot. There are alternative ways of achieving what you want besides the above, you can use a third party app like OS Selector, or write the linux bootloader to floppy - where without the floppy inserted at startup the PC will boot XP and boot linux if the floppy is inserted (the bios will have to be set to boot from floppy before HD). There is a discussion here that should help you. ;)

Regards;

Steve

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Dog, can we use a CD here instaed of floppy? I have RollbackRx installed so I can,t write in my MBR, so I want to write linux boot loader( GRUB?) in the CD and then I want to boot from there while I will install linux OS in a USB external hard drive.( I can,t use floppy as there is no floppy drive in my laptop). Is it possible?
    Thanks.

6. dog

dog Guest

Sorry I have no experience with this (I only have experience with the 3 ways I've listed above) ... but I found several search results with a few suggestions ... http://darbujan.fzu.cz/cgi-bin/dwww/usr/share/doc/grub-doc/html/grub_3.html?type=file#SEC11 ...& ... http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=50301& ... & ... http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-19428.html

I guess another possibility would be to boot from the install disc (which a few can) ... I believe SuSE can do this.

Sorry I can't be of more help aigle, I'm no expert. ;) It'd be best to ask at the user forum of the distro you wish to install or a general linux forum where you'd get qualified help with this matter.

Steve

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I will see ur search results and later will make a search myself as well. I plan to start linux but still I have to wait until I get a plenty of time that is needed for all this.
    Thanks.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    SUSE can indeed boot from the DVD.
    Mrk

9. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Thanks for providing the steps to install the linux...

I will follow the instructions and I ll get back with the results.

thanks again

10. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Hi,

Well I have installed llinux on the second hard drive and installed it in my computer on secondary IDE port making it slave.

I think its easier for me to do that rather than loading LILO in on hard drive.

Thanks for all your help , you guys are great help..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.