Installing Flash Player in Mandriva 2008 Spring free

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Feandur, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Hi:
    I’m totally new to Linux, and have begun by trial & error to use Mandriva 2008 Spring free.

Can anyone tell me / confirm how to install Flash Player?

My understanding of the Adobe instructions are to:
    (1)download the .rpm file to desk top, open up a command prompt in root [presumably via Linux Control Centre>System>Konsole] and type after the root # cursor the following command rpm -Uvh <rpm_package_file>; where the stuff in parenthesis is the actual packet name, eg:<flash-plugin-7.0.63-1.i386.rpm>
    (2)Verify installation by launching FireFox3.0.8 and typing about:plug-ins into the address box/browser menu.

Just concerned this ‘forced install’ is the best way to go as I’m concerned that other dependent package files are needed.

Any advice appreciated….eg: Use Easy Urpmi to add extra repositories and then see if Flash Player is in them

Thanks.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You should be fine installing via the .rpm. It's often easier to just grab it out of the repositories if it's there, but if not, a manual install usually works just as well or better. With the rpm you'll be sure to have the latest at any rate. And if you try and fail with the rpm, you won't hurt anything anyway, and you can go ahead and try to find the repositories and do it that way if needed.

4. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.