Installing Firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Huwge, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

What is the best procedure with XP when a new firewall is being tried? Do you disable the XP FW and then install/run the new one, do you disable and disconnect from the net o_O

2. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

i normally disconnect from net,disable xp firewall-anyways its disabled permanently,also monitor the installation with total uninstall..so that i can uninstall all the bits and crap fully..

3. Disconnet from web, ALWAYS disable win xp firewall, install your new firewall, reboot, and test it at GRC.com. If your not disable xp firewall you will have conflics. Bye have a nice day!

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Thanks for the fast replies, now for a real 'newbie' type question....how do you disconnect from the net...pull the plug on the modem?....(I'm on cable)

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you are on cable and do not with to disconnect the plug you can use Start - control panel - Network connections
    Right click and select diable on the connection that is to the Internet, usually LAN - Firewalled Via xxxx . In addition you can make it easier in the future by selecting properties then enabling "ShowIcon notification in notification are when connected" & "Notify me when connection is limited or no connectivity"
    Simply right clicking on the systray icon will give you the property options in the future.

Also note that the Advanced tab is the same properties pop up which will allow you to activate or deactivate XP's firewall.

HTH Pilli :)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would think the easiest thing to do is just turn the modem off. Or if necessary, pull the plug. Simple and easy... ;)

7. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

shortest way is power off, but for modem only, not for pc :)

8. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Normally I would stay quiet, but today I feel argumentative ;)

Fightininsane's statement reflects the common wisdom and like a lot of common wisdom, may or may not be true depending like a lot of things on the particular system. I can turn WF on or off on my two XP installations with Sygate on one and ZAP on the other with no conflicts and no detectable resource overhead. The problem usually is that the newer firewall versions will shut WF off and the user has to work at keeping WF on.

The question really is whether its usefull or not. I like to keep it on because more than once I've shut the commercial firewall off and forgot to enable again before going back on the net; this is when I was running ICF, the pre-SP2 windows firewall. WF, SP2's firewall though will automatically start up if it detects that the 3rd party firewall isn't runing provided of course that the service isn't disabled. Everyone should test that, and shut it down via the security center and not disable the Service.

Regards - Charles

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

This will not help. But I had as my 1st cable modem a Motorala SurfBoard that came with a stop internet connection button on it. I just loved it. That was when I had ME OS when I upgrade to XP the provider gave me a different brand as the SurfBoard was a discontinued line and could not be brought up to XP driver standards. :p No button :( :p

I went to a router for more then one connection shortly after that. This brings me to my next point a short time behind a Hardware Firewall preventing inbounds is fine. I would never worry on in that situation.

None of the above is likely to fit your situation near as I can tell, but I thought some may find of interest.

That Surf board button was really great. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.