Installing Chromium to a RAMDisk?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Hungry Man, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Chrome allows you to move your User_Data and/or Cache to RAMDisk. Could you do this with Chromium AND move the folder that it comes in to the RAMDisk as well?

Kinda too lazy to check right now =p

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have put the cache on a RAMdisc before. The ramdisc was in place across reboots. I did not see a significant advantage in speed really, so I quit using it.

Are you suggesting that one could put the Chrome directory in a ramdisc? Thats what it sounds like you are talking about. I don't see why you couldn't. The ramdisc I was using let you save it to hdd as a file when you rebooted, so you could load that file up on boot and all would be there. Elsewise it is all gone on a reboot of course.

Sul.

3. Hungry Man

Chrome doesn't let you move install directory. I mean that you could download Chromium and just put the entire folder onto the disk.

Yes, this RAMDisk saves to the HDD before rebooting.

Is it possible to autoupdate Chromium?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If memory serves correctly, you can move the Chrome directory. I think I did that one time, but I might be confusing it with where it lived - program files vs app data.

I don't see why you couldn't put it on a ramdisk, although it would still make the profile directory in app data. You can change that of course with a shortcut command parameter.

There was a thread about that somewhere. I found a couple extensions that aided in that, and at one time had a batch file doing it. I don't think there is a 'feature' that does it, but I could be wrong as I don't follow it that closely.

Sul.

5. Hungry Man

You can only move it between User/AppData/ and Program86.

I can put the User_Data but that's all.

Used Chromium for a bit. Just too unstable. And Flash isn't sandboxed properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.