installing a firewall

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lurningcerv, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

I wanted to install IPFire to protect my laptop. It's a dual boot Ubuntu/W7 that connects to the internet through a wireless router that I believe runs Linux. So I downloaded the IPFire ISO to a CD, and it apparently wants to install itself to a dedicated hard drive as an operating system. It says it will erase whatever is on the installation drive before installing itself. This is completely different from the way that a typical firewall installs in a Windows system. My understanding is that a W7 firewall installs within the Windows OS as an application. I use Online Armor on the W7 side, and that is my understanding of how Online Armor works.

So where should I install IPFire? Do I have to have an external drive or a dedicated partition on my internal hard drive?

I looked at my router, and it apparently has a firewall. However, when I checked it, it was disabled. I enabled it, but there are no rules. What would be some basic rules to use on the router firewall?

2. BeardyFace

BeardyFace Registered Member

IPFire is meant to be installed on a spare PC and used as a firewall/router appliance, much like Smoothwall Express as a separeate firewall hardware solution, it's probably possible to install it in a VM and direct all thraffic through it, but that invites misconfiguration even more than using iptables for which Ubuntu has some easy to use front ends.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Using a router/firewall OS as a VM provides better isolation from host userland than iptables does. And if you use pfSense, configuring routing and firewall rules is far easier than setting up iptables properly, even with a good GUI frontend.

4. BeardyFace

BeardyFace Registered Member

I'll take your word for it, it's so long since I fought much with firewalling Linux it was ipchains when I did. I basically quit worrying beyond removing unused services after I built Smoothwall Express and put the house behind it.

5. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

LOL - I figured you would find this thread. My issues with pfsense is that my laptop and it don't seem to get along. I really wish it did though! Running linux for a host and then trying a pfsense VM does not seem to work for me. Really frustrating. I would run pfsense in a blink if it ran on my laptop.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

:(

Does it have a Realtek NIC? If that's the issue, maybe a PCMCIA NIC would work.

If you PM me the laptop's specs, I'll look into it more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.