installed ver 9.0 and now get lockups

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by robonline, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robonline

robonline Registered Member

Had ver 8.0 and uninstalled it before installing ver 9.0. Now whenever I try to open Microsoft Outlook, I get a warning from Zonealarm Pro about psh_svc.exe and the machine locks up - can't end tasks or do anything except turn the power off. I believe psh_svc.exe is an Acronis file. Can anyone assist plse?

2. robonline

Have uninstalled ver 9.0 and gone back to ver 8.0 - Outlook is working and machine not locking up now. I have never realy liked this product as I have found it too cumbersome and unfriendly in the controls, however I thought ver 9.0 would be improved; it seems worse. Does anyone know any benefits to upgrading to ver 9.0, or is it just a marketing scheme?
    Cheers

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. Kremmen

Kremmen Registered Member

I would like to add to this thread with similar experiences.

I have recently been having problems with my PC ranging from lockups when loading (mouse & keyboard frozen) to lockups when closing down (at the "Saving your Settings" and/or "Windows is Shutting Down" message).

I tried to remember what software I had installed recently apart from the normal updates that occur to Windows and my Norton suites. The only other change I had made was to upgrade from PE8 to PE9 on the free download I was offered.

As a test, not knowing the culprit, I removed PE9 completely and went for a 'test drive'.

Imagine my surprise when the PC now loads and exits twice as fast as before !

I have also noticed a significant speed increase right across the board.

I have a very fast AMD Dual Core 4400+ processor with 2Gb RAM and it is now showing it's true colours:)

When I first got this PC I installed my full PE8 as part of the software load routine I needed to perform and never fully realised how much speed I was losing.

This of course may not be due totally to PE9. A few weeks ago I performed a Norton 'LiveUpdate' to my 2006 suite (NIS/NSW) and when it had finished, it advertised that it had now installed a 'adware and spyware' checker that now apparently runs in exactly the same manner as the Acronis Malware Shield and the SpyBot Immunize function.

Could it now be that having 3 software utilities all performing the same job is the issue ?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

frotec

Duplicate non-support opinions removed. Please see the TOS for using these forums.

7. robonline

I didn't do any speed benchmarks and I can't tell if my machine is faster now, but after removing PES there's no lockups any more. I won't be installing it again. FYI I bought System Mechanic 6 as a cheapy deal from Zonelabs after buying Zonealarm. I installed System Mechanic 6 tonight - what a piece of @#$! My advice is to stay well away from it! I have Norton Systemworks 2005 on another machine - forget that one too. You can't beat SystemSuite 6 if you're looking for a package - I'm going to install it as my 'standard package' on all my machines. Good luck with PES; maybe next version will have bugs sorted out... I wouldn't recommend buying it but if you want to try their free version, by all means give it a go.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

My problem turned out to be the Nvidia 6200 card utility software - upgraded to the latest version and the shield no longer freezes the computer.

It hasn't totally solved the problem, in as much as it takes ages for the shield to load and occasionally the screen won't refresh - but once it has loaded all works.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.