Installation issue with latest ESS trial version

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by r3ddrag0nx, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r3ddrag0nx

r3ddrag0nx Registered Member

I was eager to try this product out as I have heard good reviews. However, upon installing this x86 software that I downloaded from your website, I am given the follow installation error in a popup which reads: Installation Information - Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I would like to note that I am on Windows XP SP3 and have administrative rights on my user account as it is the only account there is. I have tried to install it in safe mode, but realized I could not, because of Windows Installer.

As soon as the setup wizard opens and I click next, ESS informs me that I have a conflicted software installed. However, I do not have any known F-Secure Software installed. I have uninstalled a lot of programs to no avail.

My firewall had told me I had a Norton firewall which was also wierd, so I ran Norton's removal tool and successfully removed it. I had previously used Norton.

I do not know if this information will help, but I will look to include additional information if you like. I am very interested in testing the capabilities of this program.

Thanks!

I am quite positive that I do not have any malicious content on my computer and I doubt the F-Secure software, whatever it is, is causing this as well.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

does the installer tell you what is the conflicting software? what other security software do you still have running or used to run. You might have to run few more uninstaller tools

3. r3ddrag0nx

yeah, the conflicting software is: F-Secure Software. However, I don't own any F-Secure products. It must be from a previous installation, but I've already tried to run the F-Secure Uninstallation Tool. It did not detect any F-Secure products. I'm guessing one of the countless products I tried must have used F-Secure technology so the remnants of such program remains.

Again, I do doubt that this is what is causing me to be unable to access registry during installation. I cannot be the only one with this issue surely.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

with so much software you tested, used and removed at some stage or another it will not be easy to troubleshoot why this particular software is failing. Did you check the machine for malware? are there errors or warnings in event viewer logs?

5. r3ddrag0nx

Yeah, my computer should be free of viruses, spyware, etc. I've disconnected the internet until I get ESET up and running. I'm running more spyware scans on the system. Needless to say, I am currently on another computer.

Basically, the reason I'm switching up the antivirus suites is that my past ones were unable to perform well in terms of detection and proactive detection of various malware. I did some research and came upon ESET's Smart Security.

Perhaps I should post my logs here to see which products may be conflicting exactly? Which logs should I post that is needed?

Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

go to regedit
    hold control and hit the letter F. Type F Secure and start deleting reg entries that come up. Forget the legacy ones. Reinstall Eset and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.