Install Wine applications easily with Winetricks

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Windows to Linux migration made a little simpler: a tutorial explaining how to use winetricks, a small helper script, to more easily download and install Windows components for Wine programs. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/winetricks.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Now, if only I/anyone could get IE8 working (I need itfor testing purposes), I would be very happy.

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I have been using Winetricks a long, long time. Can't wait for the Winetricks surprise you mentioned. Can you give us a hint as to what it is? You've got my curiosity aroused. The wine ppa has, at least here recently, made Winetricks a dependency for the latest installs. Nice review.

Later...

4. Trespasser

I should add that the only reason I run Wine is for two Windows applications...ConvertXtoDVD (for me) and PySolFC (for my wife). I recently discovered that in Lucid's repos they now offer PySolFC 2.0 (the latest version). So if you like card games, mahjongg, plus a bunch of others (1048 total the last time I checked) that could keep you entertained for hours then PySolFC is for you. I highly recommend it if you're into card games.

Later....

5. Trespasser

I just discovered a new Wine tool in Synaptic called wisotool. Is this what you were alluding to, Mrk?

Later...

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Problem with winetool is that if you prefer using latest WINE via the ppa, you are likely to get into some serious incompatibility issues according to WINE forums. Otherwise its very convenient, far better interface and handling than default.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'd suggest that Linux needs a browser that can spoof IE (any version) and correctly interpret the "non-standard" syntax that breaks other browsers. If I got it right, it also appears that MS has seen the light and will try to make IE9 100% standards-compliant and no ActiveX. Whether a multi-platform version will ever be released is the question.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I second this. While it is a very useful tool, indiscriminate use can cause some serious problems. Make sure you really need what ever it is you are installing.

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You overlooked Play On Linux, its pretty easy to set up any listed or unsupported application in Wine with it. If it does not have the right icon, that can easily be found on the Web for the program in question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.