Install upgrade of True Image 8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by herefordwriter, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herefordwriter

herefordwriter Registered Member

In order to install the upgrade of True image 8 do I have to un-install the old version or can I install over the top of the old?
    Many thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello herefordwriter,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We recommend you to uninstall Acronis True Image 8.0 by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image prior to installing Acronis True Image 9.0.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

You may also find Acronis True Image 9.0 FAQ page helpful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. herefordwriter

Many thanks for that but I perhaps wasn't explicit enough in my original posting.

I have version 8 - build 774 and I have downloaded version 8.0.937 which your web-site advised as being the latest build.

Do I have un-install version 8-build 774 before installing version 937?
    Many thanks

4. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

What's the big deal? Just hit the uninstall button first and then install 937.
    :doubt:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello herefordwriter,

I believe some misunderstanding took place. The point is that we have mixed up the update and upgrade conceptions. The update is free and available for every registered user of the respective Acronis True Image version, while the upgrade is a paid option which allows you to obtain a newer version of Acronis True Image at the discounted price. The upgrade to Acronis True Image 9.0 can be purchased in the Product Upgrade section of Acronis online store.

Please note that there is no need to uninstall build 774 prior to installing build 937. The latest build of Acronis True Image 8.0 can be installed over the older one without a problem.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. herefordwriter

Dear Alexey
    Many thanks

Herefordwriter

7. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

It could be a big deal if, like me, the poster has a large number of scheduled tasks that they would rather not have to recreate.

8. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

I don't mean to single anyone out but I do think that some of the unnecessary precautions some users write about in this forum can cause new users like herefordwriter to get a little paranoid about using the product.

When in doubt, just do what makes the most common sense....uninstall and then install the update/upgrade/new version, etc.

In fact, that should be the rule for ALL software updates and upgrades, not just TrueImage.

As for the large number of scheduled tasks, you better know in advance whether the update is going to support them before you blindly update and let them run, only to be disappointed later when one or more fails.

9. TheWeaz

"In fact, that should be the rule for ALL software updates and upgrades, not just TrueImage."

I'll remember that the next time MS issues a Windows Update.
    Uninstall. :D :D :D

10. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

I'm not referring to the operating system nor did anyone in this discussion except you. If you just want to bust balls, have at it.

11. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hi bobdat I'm sure The Weaz was just making a joke m8 hence the :D :D :D

Regards BOEING

12. TheWeaz

bobdat,

Somebody, who you, yourself, refer to as a “new user” asks a logical question. You reply with a snide “What's the big deal? Just hit the uninstall button first and then install 937 :doubt: ”.

You are given an extremely good reason why it could be a “big deal”.

Your response is “When in doubt, just do what makes the most common sense....uninstall and then install the update/upgrade/new version, etc.”
    Sorry, that does not seem like common sense at all. To uninstall apps (AV, firewall, adware, backup, e-mail and yes, the OS) every time an update is released would be inane.

“you better know in advance whether the update is going to support them before you blindly update and let them run”
    And how, pray tell, would one gain this knowledge?

You complain that “unnecessary precautions” might cause new users to “get a little paranoid“. I contend that attitudes such as yours are far more likely to be the cause.

The only one here trying to “bust balls” seems to be you. I will not waste my time trying to keep you entertained.

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Let's all keep our cool here gents; nobody's necessarily crossed lines as of yet but we've gotten very close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.