install security programs in SafeMode? Y/N?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jfd15, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

Hi,
    i have seen some on here advise to install security programs in Safe Mode

(to avoid conflicts?) which seemed to make some sense, then i saw another

person on here saying that installing in Safe Mode would be a mistake because

something like the registry? or stack? wouldnt be seen by the security program..

would like to hear the experts on here offer their views..thanks

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Thats not really necessary, just exit spyware scanner residents to avoid conflicks and maybe Av resident (only if it is asked for by the security program maker). But installing security program in safe mode..thats going a little to far just to avoid conflicts with other programs.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not an expert, but I would never install or even uninstall security softwares or any other software in Safe Mode, because I know that Safe Mode isn't the same as Normal Mode, but don't ask me the difference, I don't know that either.

I never saw a software that recommended me to install it in Safe Mode either, so I see no reason at all to install software in Safe Mode. There is nothing special about security softwares, they do a job like any other software.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks:

Installing security programs in Safe Mode ? Never done before. However, uninstalling them in Safe Mode ? Yes, I have done so often . Why? Simply because I thought those modern security apps have ultra ability in hooking into system's nerves, normal deletion method may somehow trigger or sever some of these sensitive areas and may consequently render the whole system corrupted, or even worse-crashed. In Safe Mode, those sensitive connections are perhaps temporarily suspended, therefore severance or its like may be performed safely. This just my belief/theory, pls correct me if you may. Take care.

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

You're absolutely correct Perman. In safe mode windows only loads necessary drivers, etc... If the app you're un-installing has a hook in something that's not active, it's a much easier process.

At least that's the way I see it.

...screamer

6. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Also, many (security and non-security related) programs won't install in safe mode, i.e. those that use the MSI service and some won't uninstall in safe mode either.

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I only install and run AV's & AS apps in safe mode when I'm cleaning a hosed pc.

8. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

great, thanks for the replies...looks like general agreement on that....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.