Install recovery system cd on VMWare

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Atomas31, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I am trialing Vmware workstation so I am trying to install a legit windows XP family edition from an old system of mine... The only problem is that the OS is on a "cicero recovery system cd" and when trying to install it, vmware found windows xp professionnal instead of windows familial edition!?!? In any case, I enter my original key code go through the installation, Power on the machine and the result is : I see the screen of Windows XP family edition and after that a BSOD and a reboot of my virtual machine in loop...

What is the problem and how can I resolved it?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

2. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I have been having some problems with VMWare Player the free one when I migrate my system it boots up fine the first time and loads all of the drivers and everything but it cant find the Base System Device driver so it enters the reboot loop. Since your using a install cd to install yours I wouldnt think that this is the problem your having. When you start the VM have you tried to install VMWare tools on it? Also since you have installed your system to a Virtual hard drive you could download VMWare Converter (free) and run the configure machine option this will adjust your OS to help it run on Virtual Machines better. However Im fairly new to the Virtual machine world so I dont know if this will help you or not. But it cant hurt

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if it has service pack 2 or below try slip streaming SP3 and then burn a new disc and try that.

4. Atomas31

It is the original "cicero system recovery" cd wich contains Windows xp - family edition - with SP1...

How do I do to slip streaming SP3 and then burn a new disco_O I am kind of confuse :doubt:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    you have a few options.
    one is to follow the steps at win supersite

or you can use nlite and only use the first step which is slipstream and once that step is done just click the finish button and burn it to disc.

first option is probaly easier.

the new CD should work fine with vmware workstation.
    if you have any problems or questions feel free to ask.

6. Atomas31

Ok, I have tried both and none of them worked?!? I didn't succeed to make a CD with XP and SP3...

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

was there any error messages ?

8. newbino

newbino Registered Member

9. Atomas31

With the first method, yes, when I tried to slipstream to SP2 (following the instruction for SP2) I received a big message error of not being able to copied for a lot of different reasons. When I tried to slipstream to SP3 (following the instruction for SP3), I received a message that update.exe is not an internal or an external command line and if I use the instruction of SP2, I received the same message than describe before for sp2.

@newbino, Thanks I might try that later :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.