Install not working

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Teazle, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

As I've seen multiple posts I wanted to make my voice heard too, what happens is it installs just fine, but just after installing drivers and starting services, it starts a rollback action and then throws a fit. If I do not press OK and instead start egui.exe its all fine (presumably not, but it starts anyway) and remains active untill i kill egui.exe and then it installs itself again.

Using WinXP Pro SP2 with quite a few components removed from the install CD (nLite'd)

Sent a log to your beta support in hopes of help.

Any help appreciated, im currently totally unprotected, no AV no FW.

Best Regards
    Fredrik

2. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Try disconnecting from the net and then install it.Worked here:D

3. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

Forgot to add that, already tried it. does not help.

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Had a similar problem and found that one of the other security programs that I run (not a firewal) was blocking the installation of a service that ESS 3 requires. Check that this is not happening in your case.:D

5. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

I have absolutely nothing running (except winamp and msn messenger) and nothing installed (Ad-Aware, S&D etc). So nope, thats not it either. can't try installing in failsafe mode either, because of the fact that MSI installers dont run properly there.

Any other suggestions?

6. SatDish

SatDish Registered Member

i am having the same problems, roll back then says i need to try later :(
    im running windows xp pro 64bit service pack 2, i have also tried the above

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

ESET Smart Security currently supports only 32 bit (x86) operating systems . No way for BETA1 to work on x64 . Use NOD32 until x64 compatible versions comes out

8. SatDish

SatDish Registered Member

well it does go to install on the following path
    thats where all the 32bit programes go by default

9. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

I've come to a conclusion (well, i did before, but post now); the reason my install wont work is most likely because something that ESS needs in WinXP is removed from my installation (I have used nLite on it and pretty much removed everything). NOD32 v2.x worked just fine, therefor i was hoping ESS would too.

Any chance I could get a heads-up on what is needed by ESS (Like task scheduler, 3rd party ICS/firewall plugin support etc.) or do I have to trouble-shoot and recreate another WinXP install with default windows (or nLite'd again with some other component still avaible) ?

10. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It surely looks like you need the whole WindowsXP package

11. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

would surprise me much as I hardly think all components of WinXP is needed for ESS. I will however, next time i'm at my own computer (in like ~4-5d) make a quick rundown of what is removed from my WinXP install and cross-ref it, maybe load up a new Windows install in a virtual server or something (like Microsofts Virtual Machine) and try to root out the problem there. I'd really like not to reinstall my Windows with default setup, because I like how fast, neat and small it is atm.

Regards
    Fredrik

12. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Impossible to reinstall.:mad:
    First I have to disconnect my broadband connection to install.o_O I said OK ... is beta1. After that I uninstall it to test some other software , and , when I try to install ESS again , I get this error message :

error.JPG

I run XP SP2 all updates on this PC.
    It's again something wrong when detecting networks.:blink:
    I've tried cleaning registry , repairing winsock , disconnect ... but nothing seems to help.:'( Same error.o_O

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ Ugly

14. ugly

ugly Registered Member

I manage to solve the problem.:D
    ESS was having problems when trying to add Local Area Connection to trusted zone without asking because of some changes it detects there.o_O
    A "Repair" to LAC did the trick.:ninja:

Best regards.

15. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Good to hear.
    Thanx for the info

16. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

I however, who started the thread, still am unable to install ESS.

ESS Beta support asked me to send in mapi32.dll, which i did (Thunderbird's MAPI library). since that point i have not heard of them, more questions about my setup or suggestions from either parties (staff or people on forum) would be highly appreciated. But I guess I'll just have to wait and hope for a future beta/final release.

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

My colleague says it should be fixed by now. The fix will be available in the next beta.

18. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

:thumb: Good to hear. Thank you.

19. mgaidia

mgaidia Registered Member

same problem, didnt work on a fresh win xp home sp2 x32
    its nice to hear its fixed but too late for me, already bought kis v6 :)

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is never late . They offer a refund , which you can use and take your money back and use NOD32 or ESS - the better choice ;)

[MOVE]Use the best , leave the rest ![/MOVE]

21. mgaidia

mgaidia Registered Member

i've been a kav user for the past 3 years and i cant find anything better. I wanted to upgrade to a full suite and make a change. now i have kis and not planning to request a refund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.