"Install Interupted"--perhaps a candidate for a sticky?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by WellWell, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WellWell

WellWell Registered Member

If you are getting the message that install was interrupted, turn off DEP. In Vista, here's how. I know this is counter to all of the information you get from Acronis, but if you have the newest version, this IS the problem. You can at least try it.

Simply disable DEP in Vista, and Acronis will install.

1. Click Start
    2. Click All Programs
    3. Click Accessories
    4. Right Click on Command Prompt
    5. Left click on Run as Administrator
    6. Click the Allow button if it asks you for permission
    7. Type or copy and paste this into the command prompt window:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

8. Hit enter and you should see the confirmation: Operation Completed Successfully
    9. Reboot and DEP should be off.

To turn DEP back on, which I leave off, simply do the exact same thing with the "AlwaysOn" phrase.

I leave it off because it was causing problems with program execution. If you use a "tea timer" that will do pretty much the same thing as DEP, and you're safe. A good source of a "tea timer" is Spybot. However, you must tell SPybot to use it, which most people do not. Using Spybot's Tea Timer and AVG antivirus, I've never had a virus install itself successfully. That being the case, enabling DEP again is easy and does an excellent job of protecting from malware. Just remember when you run a program and have problems that DEP may be the offender.

2. SLR42

SLR42 Registered Member

This is generally good advice except for one thing. Using the AlwaysOn parameter causes DEP to be turned on for both Windows programs and services and all other programs. It also disables the "System Properties/Advanced/Performance Options/Data Execution Prevention" window that allows you to change the DEP settings. Instead, you should use the OptIn parameter. This turns on DEP for only Windows programs. Turning on DEP for all programs caused several of my useful programs and utilities to crash. Incidentally, the above mentioned DEP settings window does not allow you to unselect the Windows protection of DEP, so you have to use the arcane BCDEdit command to disable all protection. Obviously this is just one more instance of Microsoft knowing what is best for us.

3. mustang

mustang Developer

You know, I've seen this problem a number of times on both XP and Vista systems. I've always been able to resolve it by deleting the True Image Temp folders. If you don't know where the temp folders are located, just open a command prompt and enter "set" without the quotes. The system will echo all the environment variables. Look for Tmp and Temp. Go to that location and do a search for files with TrueImage as part of the file name. Delete all the folders that contain these files. The number of folders you find may depend on the number of failed installs. There is no need to delete all the temp files from other programs. Now re-install True Image. It has always worked for me.

4. WellWell

This is true. And also true is that turning off DEP in the Windows Panel does not really turn it off. So like SLR said, you HAVE to turn it off using the command line commands. The OPT in is probably the best choice if you turn it back on.

5. WellWell

This should be tried before disabling DEP. If it works, it works, but I have no idea why turning off DEP would solve that problem when the temp files are still there. However, that is a technical discussion we don't need to go into.

Someone should rewrite this into one post--after others have input their ideas, and make a sticky. It's a common problem strewn throughout the TI threads ad infinitum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.