Install Help Needed! I Have a Virus!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by KBoy420, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KBoy420

KBoy420 Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I was a long-time ESET user. About 6 months ago, I took a friend's recommendation that AVG was just as good as ESET and free. Well, you know what happened.

I have a nasty virus. Essentially, when you are browsing online, clicking on links does not take you to where you want to go. Instead, you are taken to random websites and phishing sites. I will be redirected to McAffee/Norton sites asking me for a credit card to download the software. The sites are identical except for the "https://" in the address.

Long story short, I cannot install NOD32 v5. I uninstalled AVG using the uninstall Start Menu option, and have also deleted all associated registry files. Upon examining the registry, I noticed a McAffee folder that I can't explain. I've never used that software. I deleted that folder as well. I went thru both the Root files and Local Users, deleting anything related to AVG, McAffee, and ESET (from numerous unsuccessful installs). I've restarted, and also deleted all .temp files.

I cannot install this software no matter what I try. I've tried installing via direct download (online mode) as well as offline mode. Install goes fine until about 95% and the software says it is rolling back, and that it could not be installed due to a serious error. No error codes or anything.

Can anyone help? I emailed ESET support (which has always been great). They will not help me since I am not currently a paying customer. I had a license with ESET for over 3 years. I am trying to download the 30-day trial to see if it can even remove this virus. If it does, of course I will pay for the license - lesson learned.

Can anyone help? Has anyone run into this? What do I need to do to get the software to install correctly? I'm at my wits end and am desperately asking for any help before I resort to a full system reformat.

Thank You! Any help GREATLY appreciated!

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Try going to the Nod32 site and run the web based version of the product.

3. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

4. KBoy420

I've tried this - if we are talking about the same thing. I tried using the web based version of the Nod32 30-day trial and it will not let me install.

5. Escalader

Not the same thing it is the on line scanner

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i know this is a nod thread BUT i would personally recc trying dr web cure it. i use eset myself but i find that dr web has one of the best stand alone scanners out there. then run malwarebytes. if it will not let you install malwarebytes there are ways to do it check their faq's on their site sometimes you may have to rename the .exe or the installer etc.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

8. KBoy420

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the help. The ESET web-based scanner found 6 threats and was able to quarantine 5 of them. I am still unable to actually install Nod32. When I try, it is showing that other antivirus software (Windows Defender) and will not complete the install. I've verified that WD is disabled, but I am still getting a conflict. As far as I can tell, WD cannot be uninstalled, only enabled/disabled. Is there a workaround for installing Nod32?

Thanks!

9. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Windows Defender shouldn't conflict with NOD32. During the install, when the message tells you it detected a third-party application, is there an option for 'ignore and continue'?

10. KBoy420

Yes. It will show you what software is conflicting and still allow you to continue, which I've done. Install will get to about 95% complete at which point, it will say that it is rolling back installation. After it completes, a dialog box shows that ESET antivirus did not install due to a serious error. No changes to your PC have been made. I've tried numerous times, same result.

11. dwomack

12. KBoy420

I've used the manual uninstallers for ESET, AVG, and McAffee. I've also gone into registry to ensure all files for those 3 programs were removed. Ive also removed all temp files and restarted. There should be no conflicts remaining, other than Windows Defender. I'll try it again in safe mode but I've already gone thru this process with no luck.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

13. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

You can try running this and its free CCleaner.http://www.piriform.com It may or may not work but may be worth a try.Run it a couple of time until it finds no more junk and then try a reinstall of Eset.Note does nothing for virus but for small registry errors and left over junk.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  15. dwomack

16. Escalader

Something beyond Nod32 is wrong, you have corupted several pieces and need radical surgery!

1) What is the name of the 6th malware?
    2) Forget this fight to install Nod for now, get behind a router FW asap
    3) Back up all your user data to a stick or dvd
    4) Restore last clean image even if it is old
    5) If no image reinstall your setup down to the metal with the o/s first update it
    6) Install EMET maximum level
    7) Run online Nod32 again should be 100% clean
    :cool: Install a free for 30 daya sw firewall 2 way. OP, OA, PC Tools etc
    9) reinstall Nod32, if it fails forget that one and use MSE free
    10) install a proper image backup system

Good luck

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Unfortunately, we still don't know if you've carried out the steps I recommended you before:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.