Install Drivers for Shared Printer

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Doc Luther, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc Luther

Doc Luther Registered Member

Apparently if one uses a printer that is shared from another Windows computer, whenever a local application prints to the "remote" printer, the local O/S installs/updates the printer drivers from the remote "print server".

However, instead of the local O/S (i.e., the spooler) being identified as attempting to install a driver/dervice, PG generates an alert stating "[application] tried to install a driver/service", which is rather annoying. :(

The only away around this (that I can tell) is to give each application that prints the ability to install drivers/services. But of course, this opens up a big security hole. If any of these applications that can install drivers/services gets compromised, the rogue application will have the ability to perform other not-so-good operations.

Is there any way to isolate the real application that is installing/updating the printer drivers (i.e., the spooler) from the user application? There shouldn't be any reason why MS Word, MS Excel, Firefox, etc. are tagged by PG as attempting to install a driver/service.

2. Doc Luther

Bump...

3. Doc Luther

Anyone out here in PG land have anything to contribute to this threado_O :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.