Install and boot trouble

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TimMullender, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimMullender

TimMullender Guest

I've just tried to install TI on a Win2k computer, the process seemed to go ok, I got as far as creating the secure zone, it resized my win partition, created the SZ and then said it was done and needed to restart.

Now I can't boot windows, the SZ or CD's the only thing that will boot is a floppy but as my win2k recovery disk is a CD that doesn't help?!

Have i missed something or is there something someone can suggest bearing in mind i have no way of creating a floppy and the only one I have is an old win95 boot disk!?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TimMullender,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know what the error message you get when try to boot Windows?

Also please rewrite the Master Boot Record (MBR):

- Provide a diskette and create a Windows 95/98/Me Startup Disk. Boot the computer from this diskette and run fdisk /mbr command.

- Or boot the computer from a Windows XP Installation CD, start Recovery Console and run fixmbr command.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. TimMullender

TimMullender Guest

Thanks for your reply

Before I ran fdisk /mbr the comptuer would hang at a blank screen with flashing cursor.

Now that I've run it I get the message "Missing Operating System" even with a bootable CD in the drive and the BIOS settings set to boot from CD!

From exploring with fdisk there is only one partition on my drive which is labelled as type EXT DOS and is about the size I asked the SZ to be.

Have I lost my Windows partition? Can I recreate it without losing everything? Any ideas?

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

To fix this type of MBR problem, you must:

Get a diskette and create a Windows 95/98/Me Startup Disk. Boot the computer from this diskette and run fdisk /mbr command. This fixes an additional 2 bytes that are not fixed by the XP CD and these two bytes are causing your remaining problem.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  5. Acronis Support

Hello TimMullender,

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please do the following?

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and indicate in the subject that you want to contact Irina Shirokova.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. TimMullender

TimMullender Guest

I don't know if I'm missing something else here or whether I'm just having a bad day but if I run the Report tool and select "Create a bootable floppy" it seems to do very little!

I've tried on two different computers to create the floppy and although it will complete a system test on both computers (entirely useless but it shows that the software is doing something) it always seems to leave me with a blank disk that causes the obvious "Invalid System Disk" in the computer I'm having trouble with!

Help!!

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Tim,

Not sure what you're doing wrong but you should have an empty, formatted, non write-protected, disk loaded into your floppy drive. Run the downloaded AcronisReport.exe file and select the option "Create bootable floppy". After creation, the floppy should contain 3 files i.e. bootwiz.cfg, bootwiz.sys and reporter.exe. Boot your computer from this floppy and it will analyse your system, after which it will then write the required Report.txt file back to the floppy.

Regards

Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  8. Acronis Support

Hello Tim,

Please send Acronis Report to support@acronis.com, this will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

9. TimMullender

TimMullender Guest

Menorcaman: I have one clean, empty, formatted, non write protected floppy disk(black) in my floppy drive. I open Acronis Report as downloaded from the above link. I select Next, agree to the EULA, select 'Create a bootable floppy' and then Next it tells me to insert a nice floppy tdiskette (is this a typo?) I then click Next... The program exits without touching the floppy drive, the floppy disk remains empty. The same thing happens on two computers so unless I'm being ridiculously thick the software downloaded isn't working.

Acronis: I will send you a report as soon as I am able to generate one. At the moment I'm tempted to rescue my data and never go near Acronis again! I tried to use it on a second machine, the machine used a bootloader (lilo) which was completely overwritten by Acronis, leaving me hours of work setting it up again!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.