Inside China’s Dystopian Dreams: A.I., Shame and Lots of Cameras

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by hawki, Jul 8, 2018.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"...With millions of cameras and billions of lines of code, China is building a high-tech authoritarian future. Beijing is embracing technologies like facial recognition and artificial intelligence to identify and track 1.4 billion people. It wants to assemble a vast and unprecedented national surveillance system, with crucial help from its thriving technology industry...

In some cities, cameras scan train stations for China’s most wanted. Billboard-size displays show the faces of jaywalkers and list the names of people who can’t pay their debts. Facial recognition scanners guard the entrances to housing complexes. Already, China has an estimated 200 million surveillance cameras — four times as many as the United States....

'“The goal is algorithmic governance,'...

China has become the world’s biggest market for security and surveillance technology, with analysts estimating the country will have almost 300 million cameras installed by 2020. Chinese buyers will snap up more than three-quarters of all servers designed to scan video footage for faces,...

Government contracts are fueling research and development into technologies that track faces, clothing and even a person’s gait..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/business/china-surveillance-technology.html

Long, Scary Read

2. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Good lord! :eek:
    They actually have facial recognition software called "Skynet" o_O

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Indeed:
    Someone has a sense of humor, I guess. Or maybe they just see it differently. As in, the eye in the sky is your friend :)

4. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Yea...
    I just really really hope that all that madness (massive facial scanning, AI powered sunglasses and behaviour scores attached to citizens) does not spread beyond china borders...

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, I'm not optimistic about that. The justifications will be different, of course.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.