Insert Next Volume

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by glentech, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glentech

glentech Registered Member

Hello, this is my first post here.... Also sent similar to Acronis support.
    I was under the impression that a backup would overwrite a previous backup as long as it was an Acronis backup. I am getting "Insert next volume" "I00640004 : Please insert the next volume." I just want to overwrite the previous DVD-RW with the new backup. Is there an Acronis command line utility that I can use to format the disc before writing? As long as I format the disc or use a new one, it backs up fine. This needs to be an unattended backup.
    Regards,
    Chester Friesen

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Glentech,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As far as I can see, you have already submitted a request to for technical support and our support engineer (Ivan Belinsky) is in correspondence with you.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.
    --
    Ivan Sarychev

3. Spaghetticodebuyer

Spaghetticodebuyer Registered Member

I get the same error with TI 9.1 Workstation doing a full backup to a DVD+RW which should overwrite a previous backup.

I would be very interested in the solution.

4. Spaghetticodebuyer

My impression is that TI 9.1 will do repeated unattended file backups by overwriting on DVD+RWs as long as the backup is not edited in any way. If the backup is edited the Insert Next Volume or bad media errors arise. If the media is then formatted by TI and run again it is fine from then on until the next edit. I am learning not to use the edit feature given this and also edit's habit of omitting previously selected files.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I'm correct in saying that, if using TI's new, self contained, direct-to-DVD imaging feature (i.e. without use of third-party UDF packetwriting software and UDF preformatting of the DVD RW media), it's not possible to overwrite existing data on DVD RW disks. The disks will need to be erased first, either via True Image or your normal CD/DVD recording software such as Nero Burning ROM.

Regards

6. Spaghetticodebuyer

Thanks Menorcaman. That could be my problem. I assumed the behaviour would be the same as for a HDD but not so. Pity Acronis documentation is not more explicit. It would be nice to have in TI a format or overwrite option.

I will make a script to format the DVD+RWs before the backup.

7. Spaghetticodebuyer

Menorcaman I need some more help please.

I tried using Nerocmd.exe to erase the DVD+RW as a pre command and it runs fine. However then TI reports "Disk full" and will not run unless I let TI format the disk. It is the same if I add the Nerocmd parameter --entire. This means I cannot use TI to do repeated unattended backups to DVD+RW.

Please can you tell me what I can do to my DVD+RWs to erase them and allow TI to run without errors?

What does the TI format really do?

Many thanks for your expert assistance.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again Spaghetticodebuyer,

You don't say which build of TI 9.1 you have but there was a formatting problem with Nero erased DVD+RW disks that was sorted in Build 3666 of TI 9.0 Home (I'm not sure what the equivalent is build for TI 9.1). See this previous thread titled <TI 9.0 Home Build 3633 - Imaging Direct to DVD>. If updating to a newer build isn't the answer then I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry.

The thread also reported the fact that TI threw up a warning message for Nero erased DVD+RW that, on my hardware at least, could be overcome by placing the DVD in the recorder's tray and then clicking on "Proceed" to close it. Unfortunately, I found that this is still the case for the latest build of TI 9.0 (3677).

In case you aren't aware of it, the latest builds of TI 9.X still have a problem when validating a spanned DVD image as part of the image creation task. This was first reported in my thread titled <TI 9.0 Build 3666 Direct to DVD Imaging - Still Some Problems>. The workaround is to validate the spanned image as a separate activity via TI's Backup Archive Validation Wizard after the image has been created.

Not sure whether any of the above helps your situation but I'm afraid it's the best I can do.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  9. Spaghetticodebuyer

Alas it's TI Workstation 9.1 3718.

Perhaps Acronis reps will be able to assist with my questions.

Many thanks for your kind help Menorcaman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.