Insert disk mania !!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by imagegeek, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imagegeek

imagegeek Registered Member

Hi !
    I'm using Trueimage Workstation v9.1 b3567
    When restoring from a spanned set of CD's (2 CD's with bootable TI on one of them), why do I have to
    switch between the 2 CD's like 20 times !??
    I'm not using the resize drives option, just a plain simple restore.

On the old TI v8.0 I was only asked once for the second CD when doing a restore from 2 CD's....

This doesn't seem like an improvement, on the contrary infact :thumbd:

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi imagegeek,

Are you restoring from a Files & Folders image or from a Disk/Partition image?

Regards

3. imagegeek

A disk/partition image, just as I was doing with TI 8.0 ?

When restoring from a similar 2 set CD's in TI 8.0, i put the second tib file
    together with TI's bootloader on one CD and simply point to it to restore.
    It then asks for the second CD once.After it has read it finished, it then asks
    for part 2 which it reads and it's all complete.

But in TIW 9.1 I have to shuffle between the 2 CD's many many times ?
    (lost count)
    It's strange as I'm not using the resize drive option, which usually requires
    you to shuffle a lot.

Is this a bug or is it supposed to be this way ?

Strange is also that the last part asked for/being read is part 1 ?
    In TI 8.0, the last part is always 2 (where the bootloader is)
    That's a big minus, cause if you're gonna put some additional sata drivers on the disk (for universal restore), you always has to put them on the first disk, which means you can't spann the image to 700 mb(capacity), but instead
    has to go for 650 mb.

I hope Acronis is looking into this as it's a big blunder...

4. imagegeek

I still would like a confirmation from somebody if it's supposed to be this way
    or if it's a bug, thanks.

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Are you restoring the whole partition or are you selecting only certain files and folders? I understand it's a partition backup.
    I think there was a thread not long ago concerning CD swapping. From what I recall it had something to do with the fact that when restoring files, those files can be spread over a wide range of sectors. Since these sectors can wide up on different CDs, this resulted in a large number of CD swaps.

6. imagegeek

I'm restoring the whole tjobang, (not files and folders).
    If this is how it works, then I see no solution than to go back to TI 8.0,
    (without Universal Restore) :mad:
    or use a USB disk to load it from...
    If it wasn't for the Universal restore, i'd switch back to TI 8.0 in a heartbeat as it's
    also faster.

Or does anybody got a solution/explanation for this problem ?

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  7. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Restoring from and imaging to optical media is rife with problems. Plus it is slower. Save your sanity - get an external usb hard drive. And for extra security burn the image to CD or DVD media but use the external hard drive as the primary destination for the backup images.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello imagegeek,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that version 9.1 restores images spanned over several CDs\DVDs absolutely in the same way as version 8.0 does. In other words, algorithm has not been changed.

Please also note that there are no any rules or limitations on how many times you will need to swap discs and which disc will be the last Acronis True Image will ask for.

Such situation is caused by some peculiarities of the disk imaging algorithms Acronis True Image uses to create a disk\partition backups. We do have plans to improve these algorithms in the future Acronis True Image versions so that there will be an ability to optimize the backup creation process for the particular type of media. I'm afraid that the exact time frame for this improvement to be implemented is not decided yet.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  9. homer007

homer007 Registered Member

I have this exact same issue, the only difference is that I was restoring from 2 dvds. Acronis would seem to be stuck in some kind of infinite loop asking me for dvd 1, then dvd 2, then 1, etc... eventually I found out (when I was attempting to cancel the whole operation) that it will restore if you just press cancel. What I mean by that, is that it will simply continue to the next screen, and you can reach the end of the dialogues and restore normally. I believe that this odd workaround will only work if you do not resize the partition...

As for this bug, I think it should be a bigger priority than "whenever we get around to it", especially since it seems to not even need the other disks for the restore, and should not require alot of coding to fix; Using multiple mediums such as cd's or dvd's should always be supported by a backup software, as they are the cheapest and most common backup medium around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.