Initializing a Dell Optiplex GX620 from another GX620

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by danmaday, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danmaday

danmaday Registered Member

I have two Optiplex GX620. On the first I loaded all of my software plus True Image 9.0 (build 2323). Then I made a bootable CD using True Image. Then I did a image backup using True Image to a DVD. One the backup DVD I have a file called MyBackup1.tib (2 gb ib size) a file called MyBackup2.tib (1 gb in size). The goal of this exercise is to be able to create an exact clone of the GX620 using the backup DVD. After the PC was cloned I was going to address the SID issue using NEWSID from System Internals.

So I unpack the second GX620 (right out of the box) and boot True Image standalone. I selected the full version. Since True Image resides in RAM (I have 512 mb) I removed the boot CD and put in the DVD. I get to the Restore Data Wizard selection screen and True Image finds nothing on the DVD. It makes no attempt to read it. OK I think its having trouble because I removed a CD and put in a DVD. So I added a DVD drive to my configuration using the USB port. I rebooted. The DVD drive in the GX620 has the bootable True Image 9 and the USB DVD has the backup DVD. Again I get to the Restore Data Wizard selection screen and True Image finds an E: drive (my usb DVD). It even finds a Recovery Manager Folder (which BTW is not visible in Windows Explorer). True Image again does not find my .tib files. True Image just sits there.

Maybe I don't understand the process so I am asking for some guidance here. What the heck am I doing wrong? True Image is supposed to be able to to a baremetal restore.

Help!!!!

2. danmaday

I read the posts from the last month to see if I could learn more.

I tried to verify the archive from the DVD using True Image 9 standalone. Again nothing. I remove all of my usb peripherals including the mouse and keyboard (I used old plug connect mouse and keyboard) and tried again. I did this because someone said standalone True Image had a problem with usb devices. Still nothing. I took the DVD to the original GX620 and executed True Image under Win XP Sp2 and the archive verified correctly.

So I must be doing something really dumb or True Image 9 does not work in standalone as advertised. I hope it's me doing something dumb. I don't want to load all of that software again.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There were problems with the recovery CDs created under build 2323. It is important to use the last build 2337. To this end download and install 2337 having first removed 2323 using Add/Remove Programs. Then create a new recovery CD and your current difficulty should be solved.

Xpilot

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello danmaday,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Please recreate the bootable rescue media with the latest build and create a new image.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software.

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article.

Please also note that the ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds/versions of a particular software, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

If you use two-step method of DVD-writing which is described in the FAQ mentioned above, you should finalize your DVD.

Please also be aware that in order to clone your Windows system to different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep). Please take a look at this FAQ article.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. danmaday

I am really disappointed with Acronis. I downloaded build 2337 of True Image 9 and went back to the PC that I was trying to copy from. The user had installed Roxio CD Creator 7 on the PC. TI 9 refused to burn a standalone recovery CD. So I went back to my PC and created a recovery CD. Then I started the backup. I got through one DVD and TI 9 told me to change media. Out of nowhere ROXIOs(?) Drag to Disk popup comes up and says that it cannot make the DVD compatible as a standard DVD; however, DVD may(?) work on another PC if it has Drag to Disk installed. Wow! How can I make a backup that I can depend on if the readability/writeability of the DVD is dependent on the CD/DVD burning software installed at the time the backup was made? As an IT support person I evaluate numerous CD/DVD burning software packages. If I need to retrieve a file from a backup I couldn't do it because the underlying CD/DVD burning software changed.

I am sorry but I believe this is a major flaw in the software architecture. I don't like ghosting because I think the design is primitive but I have to say it is dependable.

I am abandoning TI 9 and will build the new PC one software install at a time.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello danmaday,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We are really sorry that you are displeased with the work of Acronis software. However, we will certainly do our best in order to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Please try the following tips in order to solve the problem with backups being not "visible" in Acronis Rescue Environment:

- If you are saving your images to DVD directly, i.e. using third party UDF packet DVD writing software then please make sure that you use UDF version 2.1 or lower. The point is that UDF versons higher than 2.1 are not supported when using Bootable Rescue CD and therefore images that are actually reside on DVD are not visible in rescue mode;

- If you use "two-step" method of writing images to DVD then please do as Tatyana has suggested above and try finalizing DVDs.

As for the problem with creating Bootable Rescue CD on the computer having Roxio software installed, please try disabling Roxio Drag-to-Disk before trying to create Bootable Rescue CD.

If that does not help then please disable Windows XP's own CD recording feature. i.e. open "My Computer", right click on you CD/DVD recorder and select "Properties", select the "Recording" tab and uncheck the "Enable CD recording on this drive" tickbox.

If that does not help either then please try creating Bootable Rescue CD in Windows Safe Mode.

Please let us know if any of the problems still persists. We will provide you with the further instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.