InfoWorld Magazine Launches Campaign To Save XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LockBox, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Why XP must be saved
    The costs are too high and the benefits too low to be forced to switch to Vista

by InfoWorld Executive Editor Galen Gruman
    More: http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/14/02FE-why-save-xp_1.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Geez, Galen, and you call yourself a technology writer? No one is forcing corporations to change, nor consumers either.

I'm sure your Rambler, or Studebaker, or whatever you drive is still working fine on leaded gas. Give me a call on your Stromberg-Carlson dial telephone and we'll meet to discuss it over the latest BetaMax release and record our meeting on an ElCassette. If you are uneasy about all this, perhaps some Disco on an 8-track will put you at ease? Or perhaps you would rather watch your Philco B&W television and worry about Y2K?

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

This we needs to be qualified.

Happy with Win2k,
    -rich

4. RipVanTinkle

RipVanTinkle Registered Member

Ditto :)

5. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I gotta wonder how many of the Vista bashers have actually used it on newer hardware. I have a 3 year old Thinkpad with XP and a new thinkpad with Vista. Both run great. No problems with Vista at all. No driver issues, no software compatibility issues. It is actually more stable than XP in my experience. It needs more memory and processor speed so it may not be a good upgrade for many but the newer PC's are fine with it.

Change is inevitable!

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have a vista image for my machine which certainly is hardware ready(scores 5.8 out of 6). I do like some of the features, but some of the changes for change sake are a bit annoying(moving documents and settings is one).

I just find any advantage, and I lose some sound quality which is a driver issue. Also disheartening is the disk space issue. My XP drive size is 23 gig, switching to vista takes it to 48gig. Just don't see a gain to justify it.

I play with it though cause down the road....

Pete

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I agree with you on the disk space...my C drive with one FD-ISR snapshot is about 46 gig. I also agree that there is nothing compelling about Vista that makes it worth a change.

However, I think Vista is here to stay and even though there are some kinks to be worked out over time no amount of complaining about Vista will make it go away.

Ed

8. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

So why not attempt to make the "inevitable" change a worthwhile change?

Rob

9. LockBox

I think Galen Gruman makes a compelling case to save, and Microsoft continue to support, Windows XP. His op-ed is spot on.

Also, check out:
    Service pack vs. service pack: XP SP3 beats Vista SP1
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisewindows/archives/2007/11/service_pack_vs.html

And, I know this has made the rounds, but I still find it a good summation:
    Why all Vista users should upgrade to Windows XP
    http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9837180-17.html

And finally, Bill Gates own words in a moment of unguarded honesty:
    http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

After working for large corporations for many years, maybe I have gotten too cynical to actually expect the masses to be able to influence the decision. Especially when MS has a virtual monopoly.

Ed

11. AKAJohnDoe

I was pretty comfortable with LP records; so I kept mine. Still play them, too. Often. I also have cassette tapes, but do not play them all that often. I play CDs fairly often, too.

My point is that no one compelled me, nor forced me, to change.

Corporations will change when they see the need to change based on cost of ownership, support, or features.

And Microsoft is not forcing me to change, either. If I wanted to stay on XP, I would. I happened to buy a new notebook this past Spring (2007) and it came with Vista (Home Premium), so I tried it out. I see no reason for me to run multiple operating systems, so I kept Vista. I have other operating systems I could install (DOS 6.22, NT 3.1, NT 3.5, NT 3.51, NT 4, 98SE, 2000, XP/SP2, Vista), but having tried them all, I find Vista to be the best for my purposes at this time. YMMV. :D

12. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Microsoft can't force anyone to "upgrade", period. All they can do is stop updating and patching the older systems, which doesn't make them any less usable or viable. When Microsoft stops supporting an OS, other people start. ZERT issues patches for unsupported operating systems. At MDGX and MSFN, they work on unofficial updates and service packs for all versions of windows. Support is still available. It's just not automatically installed by Microsoft.
    I don't have a problem with change when it's for a good reason. Change as part of a planned obsolescense policy is unacceptable. Microsofts policy of planned obsolescense is directly responsible for huge amounts of electronic waste going to landfills, waste that will never decompose and contains many toxins including lead, arsenic, and others. Facilities for recycling electronics are rare. The sickening part of this is that there's nothing wrong with much of it, except that it's obsolete. Since Microsofts policies are directly responsible for this waste, they should be held responsible for all the costs of its disposal and recycling. There's no reason that operating systems have to keep getting larger and always requiring more powerful hardware.
    Rick

13. AKAJohnDoe

Oh, please! :isay:

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is more important if other vendors will support XP ? The answer is simple - yes , they will .

Stop Vista and save XP campaign is pointless . Lol , let's stop technical progress at all then . Vista is already out and there are many reasons a lot of people will prefer it over any older OS (especially home users) .

"Vista sucks" or "XP rocks" - neither is true . Neither XP is that perfect , nor Vista is that bad . Vista sucks ... well , not true . The easies way is to blame the OS.

In my opinion the majority of people nowadays tend to accept progress and new things much harder that it used to do in the past. I am sure that when those who blamed Microsoft find solutions for their problems will post how lovely Vista is (and this will happen in the next years) .

When XP appeared in 2001 people didn't accept it that well like they do now (pretty normal for everything new)

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i cant wait for the safe vista compaign and get rid of vienna:D

17. LockBox

So many of you miss the point.

* Benchmarks show VISTA is not progress.

* It's not just XP lacking support - Microsoft has pulled it from store shelves and have forced the PC manufacturers into installing VISTA on their home systems if they wish to provide Windows. Contracts. Written. Is that not force?

* To the poster who thought the posted video distorts Gates' words - HOW? Can you not read his body language and listen to his words in that video and not know what he meant? The VISTA rollout has been a disaster!

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

WoW! Indeed! Theres something i bet which really hasn't been given serious thought at all but is so very true! Thanks for bringing up the environmental issue, it is important than the general world public cares to know about, but holds serious consequences for everyone. So does Nuclear Waste as always.

Those who always subscribe to the change is inevitable theory also need to understand that change must also be productive to become practical, and not just because of the lame idea that the latest will always translate to being the best. As everyone has had experience with, you know thats simply not true in most circumstances. It's an idealogy driven by what was just described above, in this case regarding microsoft O/S releases.

Personally Vista is already HISTORY in my book. On XP Pro i quickly acquired "ALL" the same enhancements (FREEWARE) AND MORE that was supposed to distance Vista from it's so-called predecessor and transition it's users over to it. Bahhh!

Security vendors are at an all time high in finally securing XP, and they continue to add even more new innovations constantly while at the same time, most of them also making accommadations for Vista compatibility. Yuk :cautious:

Microsoft is still missing the mark after all this time and looks like they will continue to although they seem pretty good at building X Boxes and the like :D

I've repeated this so many times untill i'm blue in the face and will continue to press this issue till the Sun goes nova. LoL Or another entity buys out $M one day (wishful thinking) :rolleyes:

They really should have returned to re-write Windows 98/Me again (instead of vista) to bring it up one last time to a more acceptable level without explorer crashes and the like with a new kernel and other important improvements, not just turn their back on it and run from it (abandoned) like it was the black plague. They still have time to make correction but something tells me they don't have the fortitude to go with their fortune to do anything about it ever.

XP might be the last stable $M O/S we ever see again.

19. AKAJohnDoe

I might have to link to this thread elsewhere; it is the best thing around since the writer's strike!

20. AKAJohnDoe

Tell that to the dinosaurs, those who died during the black death, and the liberals.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Oh Yeah?

Well no one, or nothing ever really can move forward successfully unless they first look back and learn from the past mistakes made back then, and if possible correct those that still can be fixed. Otherwise their destined to be repeated in an endless loop, anyone see a familar pattern here?

22. AKAJohnDoe

Like this?

23. LockBox

Okay, I'll give you that one. That was cute. :)

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Irregardless, companies rise and fall just like empires/governments do, and $M, while they still have working room to change, need to act sooner then later IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.