Infinite startup scan.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Banger696, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

Today I woke up to ESET constantly running a startup scan, presumably after an update. Tried to end the egui task and machine locked up. Had to hard reset, this is not good enough ESET!

2. fanturo

fanturo Registered Member

I had the same problem :(

3. Banger696

I had this before and yesterday a GUI freeze, not happy.:mad:

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. Banger696

6. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

Banger696, open nod32 gui and look at Protection status > Statistics > Scanned object, it might give you a hint where the scanner hangs

7. siljaline

I don't believe you had stated that you had accomplished a manual uninstall of late, unless I missed something, if I did, apologies.

One would assume a fresh installation, perhaps less your current settings retained would fix your issue, unless there is some other software installed on your PC that is conflicting. List all other third-party software installed and we shall re-visit this. Thanks.

8. Banger696

I think I tried that last time and the scanned objects were changing all the time, so it didn't hang on one file.

9. Banger696

What other software would you like me to list. I have two columns of software in the start menu or are you talking about security software. I have Malwarebytes, Spybot, SAS, Windows defender and SpywareBlaster. Only Windows Defender has real time protection on. I have done a manual uninstall and as usual everything is fine until the next time.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling the startup scan tasks make the problem go away? If so, are you able to reproduce this problem when running a startup scan manually by right-clicking the task and selecting "Run now"?

11. Banger696

The problem is random and I suspect it happens after an update. Running the startup scan manually from the scheduler produces the expected short scan and I cannot reproduce the infinite scan from the scheduler.

12. Banger696

I am considering going back to an earlier version of V4.2 anyone know where to find these versions and which is the most stable? Eset previous versions only has V4.

13. siljaline

You may obtain a V4.0.7.4 under the previous releases section of the download center page
    V3.0.695 is available but I would not recommend reverting back to a V3.x build since there are many improvements have been made since the V3.0 builds.

Good luck, I see Marcos has replied to this, I will leave you in the capable hands of ESET.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  14. Banger696

Thought I had found the cause, but can't repeat it. Anecdotally I remember emptying the update cache and also getting this infinite scan but don't remember if the two are connected. Have tried to manually re-create this scenario emptying the cache and running the scheduled update task but so far I can't re-create the infinite scan. At present it seems totally random. But as far as I can tell something to do with auto update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.