Infection Frequency

Discussion in 'polls' started by DigitalMan, Sep 13, 2004.

?

How often is your primary system infected w/malware of any kind?

1. Never - my fortress is inpenetrable

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. 1 per month or less frequently

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. 1 time per week

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. 2 ~ 6 times per week

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. 1 time per day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. > 1 time per day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi all,

So may I draw the conclusion that we can stop from now on with the truckloads of questions, answers, discussions like: what is the best FW, what is the best AT, what is the best AV etc. etc.? Just by the 9 voters which have inpenetrable systems letting us know what apps, combinations and layers they use?
    Cheers,

Gerard

2. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

Well to be accurate, we have 9 voters who THINK that they have "inpentrable" systems when it is possible in fact that they are infected right now with some nasty backdoor program.

Also, I don't think these 9 systems have much better systems currently compared to say yours or the average wilders members. Most people tend to be clean and quibble about whether adware or cookies= infected. Or some people may take false positives as being infected etc...

Lastly never underestimate the difference knowledge and caution can add to your defences. You and I may be running the exact same layers of defence, but because I'm more knowledgable or careful, I might not get infected while you might.

The funny thing about this poll already pointed out I think is that the less skilled you are in detecting malware, the more likely you think you are well protected :)

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

luckily never so far-with viruses worms or trogans.I get alot of adware which adware se takes care of.I have learned invaluable info from this forum and answers to millions of questions.I read all of the posts even the very old ones and if i have a question i post and someone always answers.i really appreciate this forum and all the people here
    Rita

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Nada - so far so good!! :)

5. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

All systems online are susceptible to attack...
    ALL OF THEM...
    Spybot/Adaware/NAV/Kerio/BlackICE/Protowall/a2
    Still I can detect a lotta crap out there...
    One way for an impenetrable fortress is to reduce functionality like
    removing ActiveX, Scripting, Java etc...
    Taking alotta ad-hoc measures like blocking JPEGs hen you heard of the exploit...
    but I don't do that... Us students need functionality
    That's why a relatively safe system is OK for me.
    Remember... No army wins ALL wars... No fortress is impregnable... No defence is unbreakable...
    That's my opinion... I believe it to be a fact... the rest is up t'yall.
    G'luck

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Only one time ever have I been "hacked" (Compaq Tech Supports words) before I killed it. I wanted to do some identification tests on it, but panicked when my keyboard stopped working. :eek: Tried to go back in time by using restore point that got the keyboard working again. I did not waste anytime, loaded up new AV software after the soon to expire one that came preloaded was destroyed by the germ. I uninstalled what was left of the OEM AV. It appeared to have "dumped" all of the virus defs. that were in the "library." Anyway all was well after that. One final note this was before I had Boclean and I did have Zone Alarm free which was not effected by the germ. I still wish I could have identified it before taking action.

7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I once purposefully placed a virus on an old computer. I didnt run it, i just wanted to look at the code.

Jimbob

8. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

Then you weren't infected.

9. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Yea. You were just a little "under the weather".

Me infected twice in 3 years. Blaster variant on fresh install of Xp and similar worm on WinME previously.

Live dangerously. Visit bad sites. Just use freeware/Opera+Firefox/twin firewall/twin AV/twin Antispyware/twin Antitrojan.... currently searching for antitrojan realtime scanners. Keep win-dos patched. Maintain a "clean" image of your windows installation on HDD to use in case of serious trouble. Kepp your data on a separate Physical drive (at least not on C:) and back it up often enough.

I don't care how often or how quickly I get infected, its how quickly I beat the infection is that matters. Sooner or later virri/worms are gonna come. I just beat them down with a club.

10. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Get lots of Adware and occassionally Spyware. Viruses dont tend to get in.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.